Unable to set up Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ThE.MeSsEnGeR, Feb 11, 2011.

1. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

I've been trying to figure out how to solve this, but I can't seem to find the solution. Setting up Boot Camp was supposed to be easy (just like any other thing on a Mac), but it still hasn't been for me.

first, it was asking for me to have more than 10GB of free space when I clearly had over 15; anyways, just to give it some space to breathe I freed up the HD a bit and it now has over 30GB of free space. but now when I go into Boot Camp Assistant it gives me this error:

I went to Disk Utility and made sure that my disk is already formatted as Extended (Journaled) since day one; & it's only 1 partition.

The solution that it's telling me to do is way too much for me, I'm definitely NOT gonna wipe my HD and reinstall everything.

Any help?
    and thank you.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. armand53080 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this would work, but it did for me...

I too was receiving the same message, and like yourself, I had plenty of free space available for the boot camp partition. Rather than defragging or reformatting my hard drive as many posts seem to suggest, I simply rebooted my mac. With the DVD installation disk in it, I made sure to hold down the C key. Once in the installation menu, I used Disk Utilities to "Repair" my local hard drive. The process took but a few minutes, after which I rebooted normally, reran the boot camp assistant, which in turn allowed me to set my windows partition up flawlessly. Again, not sure if this solution is for everyone, but I am happy to report it worked for me, and it was quick and painless.

4. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

thanks a lot for your advice, I tried it; I thought it would work, but it didn't :(