Unable to set up mail accounts on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spectyr, Feb 9, 2012.

1. spectyr macrumors newbie

Hi!

I own a MacBook Pro running on Mac OS X 10.7.3, running Mail 5.2. The problem is that despite many desperate attempts, I am unable to set up any mail accounts on my system. The error says the mail server is not responding(on all mail accounts, say gmail or hotmail).
    I also want to mention that I'm accessing the web through a proxy server, which, as far as I think is not a problem, since in the diagnostics, it says that mail was able to connect to the internet.
    Please help!

2. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

The proxy server may well be the problem. GMail and Hotmail see a lot of spam and they refuse connections from suspect servers. The proxy server is probably on their blacklist.

Try skipping the proxy and see what happens...

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you really want to rule it out then you need to try connecting without the proxy (standard troubleshooting practice).

4. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

And As Far As Mail Is Concerned...

... I think that it is crappy for configuring accounts. The so-called "Wizard" isn't very smart and makes it difficult to manually configure accounts. (Hint: Go offline if you want to easily disable the Wizard.) There are other problems with Mail but setting-up and managing multiple accounts is my main pet-peeve.

I recently moved from Eudora (no more Rosetta support in Lion...) to GyazMail. What an improvement over Mail! Configuring accounts is a breeze. Unlike Mail GyazMail doesn't assume that all GMail accounts are IMAP. And it doesn't routinely "forget" account passwords like Mail tends to do.

GyazMail is $18 and Worth Every Penny. Mail is worth exactly what you pay for it...