unable to set up webmail/OWA mail account on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by revolvoer, Nov 20, 2011.

1. revolvoer macrumors newbie

Hello - brand new to this forum and pretty new to Mac overall.

I have an iMac May/2009 running OS X 10.6.8 that I purchased used about 3 weeks ago. OMG! I am so very happy to be in the Mac world! Ok, enough gushing.

I am trying to set up a mail account to synch up with my work email which is an OWA (online web access) account. What's frustrating is, I have an iPad 1 and I have managed to make it happen on that machine, but no matter how I try, I cannot seem to get the iMac to set up the same account.

I am trying to set the account up as an Exchange account (as I have on the iPad) and am using many of the same settings as I have on the iPad. Still, no luck. What is the trick to doing this? I really, truly, have spent hours on this expecting to have a breakthrough at any moment but not dice.

Confused and Frustrated, but hopeful and happy to be part of the Mac Revolution,

Please, any advice that anyone has will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Shawn.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

OWA is and isn't exchange. It is the web front end. If you have an IT department they can get you the server settings you need. They all vary depending on what was implemented. You don't want to setup your mail app for OWA, you want to set it up for Exchange and the settings are not the same, usually.

3. revolvoer thread starter macrumors newbie

derbothaus,

Thanks for the response! What flips me out is that I have synched up my iPad with work email via OWA and I can't do the same thing on my iMac.....it's really hard to accept that.....I would expect that it would be easer on the iMac or at least as easy, but that's NOT the case. Being an EXTREME newbie to Mac, I feel that I'm poking around in the dark (but willing to work/research to get this resolved)....so, to respond specifically to your advice - my I/T department would rather I NOT use my iMac to access corporate mail....ya know how that goes.....and I can't expect any support/help on that front. So, I'm looking to my new-found Brothers and Sisters for guidance.

Staying Tuned for additional advice, Shawn.

4. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Outlook Web Access is designed to be used with a web browser although the address is also used for ActiveSync as well. That's why it works on your iPad.

If your iMac is at home and you're trying to connect to your company's exchange server, you need to set-up RPC over HTTP. You will need your IT to provide with you the information in terms of exchange server, certificates and etc. You're better off using a VPN, terminal server or OWA.

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Then you can go over to a co-workers PC and copy down the settings from their Outlook client. A little sleuthing will get it to work w/o IT involvement, hopefully.