Unable to share iTunes library on Mac partition with Windows partition

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jonathan_W, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Jonathan_W macrumors member

Hi all :p

I recently installed MacDrive on my Windows Vista X64 partition so that I could access my iTunes Library on my Mac partition. After installing iTunes on my Windows partition and pressing shift while it opened, iTunes asked me for an iTunes library file ending with the extension ".itl". Now, I do not have any files ending with this extension in my iTunes folder on my Mac partition.

Is there anything I can do to make iTunes on Windows to read my music library on my Mac partition?

Please let me know! :eek:

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I never tried sharing the iTunes library (which, of course, would make perfect sense) and I don't know if the libraries for iTunes/Windows and iTunes/OS X are even compatible.

You can try to change the location of the iTunes music folder in Preferences/Advanced. Just let the Windows version point to the appropriate folder on your Mac partition.

If that doesn't work but you have the disk space for it, import the Mac files into the Windows installation of iTunes. It's a waste of disk space, but maybe the last resort.

If Apple's iPods were of any real use, both iTunes installations should simply be able to play the music directly from the iPod. But since Apple suffers from control mania, of course iTunes/Windows cannot use an iPod that was configured to be used with iTunes/OS X and vice versa. And, of course, there's also Apple's horrible DRM in the way.

3. Jonathan_W thread starter macrumors member

I have tried changing the location of my library by holding shift while iTunes opened (mentioned in the first post) and came across a problem hence why I created this thread :eek: :p

I would prefer to have a solution where I can keep my play counts and ratings and not having a duplicate library :eek:

4. Jonathan_W thread starter macrumors member

5. yardie macrumors newbie

Although the itunes for Mac and Windows use the same database the location of the files are going to be different so even if you were able to open the database in itunes for windows, itunes still wouldn't know where to find your music. There are pay solutions that seem to work. I had to do this Export your itunes library. It will create an xml file open the file in a text editor and replace the file location for each music file. A good text editor can do a find and replace efficiently.

For Mac the file will be under "file://localhost/Volumes/Macintosh/Users/$username/Music/iTunes/$artist/$album/$track.mp3"

You need to replace the path to your music folder to it's new location on the PC side example, "file://localhost/F:/$username/Music/iTunes/....."

Open iTunes and import the xml playlist and it will update your library with the music from your Mac share.

6. Jonathan_W thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply, yardie :)

Does your solution keep iTune's play counts and ratings?

Also, what are these paid solutions you speak of? :p