Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
I have Alltel Mobile Broadband. Up until the other day, it's been working fine. I'd set up a network on my macbook after connecting to the Alltel network, then I'd enable internet sharing. Then my iPod Touch, iPad, etc would all be able to go online.

The past couple days, however, the connection just won't share.

Anyone have any idea what could be doing this and how to fix it?

johnnyham

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Double-check your Internet sharing settings and restart the computer for starters. If it still persists, then try changing the channel that your Macbook is broadcasting on (default is 11) to something like 5. You can also try changing the name of your computer from the default, i.e. Noisemaker's Macbook, to something without the apostrophe in there. I've heard that this can cause some confusion on Mac OS X. Another option would be to either set a password for the ad-hoc network, or disable the password. Some devices just don't like to play nice when it comes to the normal things, even Apple ones.

Hopefully one of those will fix your problem. If not, swing on by with more info and myself or somebody else will hopefully be able to further work it out from there.

Noisemaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Double-check your Internet sharing settings and restart the computer for starters. If it still persists, then try changing the channel that your Macbook is broadcasting on (default is 11) to something like 5. You can also try changing the name of your computer from the default, i.e. Noisemaker's Macbook, to something without the apostrophe in there. I've heard that this can cause some confusion on Mac OS X. Another option would be to either set a password for the ad-hoc network, or disable the password. Some devices just don't like to play nice when it comes to the normal things, even Apple ones.

Hopefully one of those will fix your problem. If not, swing on by with more info and myself or somebody else will hopefully be able to further work it out from there.

It turns out that the mobile broadband's location had changed, which made the existing internet connection sharing on the existing ad-hoc network not work. Changing the name of the network, then re-enabling the internet sharing solved the issue.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.