Unable to Sign In in iTunes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jmartin2004, Apr 6, 2011.

1. jmartin2004 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,
    I just got my new ATV 2 and can´t sign in iTunes for the Home Sharing. I have access to the internet because the ATV 2 updated to 4.2.1 and I can listen to Internet Radio Stations, watch movie trailers and browse Flickr but don´t have access to Youtube, Mobileme, Home Sharing and can´t set Time and Date automatically either in the other hand Airplay works flawlessly.
    Following an advice I check the Apple Time and Date server update in the Mac and works perfectly.
    I use a MBP unibody with 10.6.7 and iTunes 10.2.1.
    Please I need HELP!!!! it´s the first time an apple product fails on me and will really appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Jose

MBP 15 2.4 Mhz 4 Gb 250 Gb HDD
    MBA 11 1.6 Mhz 4 Gb 128 Gb HDD
    iPad 1st Gen 32 Gb Wi Fi
    iPhone 4 32 Gb

2. charks macrumors member

Wish I had a solution for you...but I'm in the same boat. I have to hard reboot the APTV and cycle the iTunes homesharing off then on...then it will work for a bit. Then the APTV kicks out of homesharing after 15 minutes or so.

Talked with Apple Care yesterday...no help. Went through all settings...checked PC security/firewall...etc. They also gave me 5 port numbers to open on my router...didn't help.

There's a lot of discussion about this one the discussions.apple.com boards. Lots of people having the same issues.

Hopefully a patch can be issued.

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Are you wired or wireless, try it wired once if you can.

Also what steps are you going through in iTunes to turn on home sharing, back in October when I first got our ATV I was turning on home sharing and then by accident Turing it back off when I closed out of the home sharing screen.

4. jmartin2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

I only have tried wireless because wired it's not an option due to the location of the router.
    The Home Sharing is on because I used with the iOS devices all the time.
    I have tied also all the port routing sugested in other forums and the problem persists.

5. UneElle, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

UneElle macrumors member

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I had the same problem when I first purchased my ATV2. Somewhere on this forum is the thread I started detailing my efforts to solve the problem. In brief, and following the advice of Apple Support as well as the Genius Bar, I: Purchased a new router / Opened the Ports Apple uses / Opened ALL ports entirely / Disabled firewalls / Reset router and reset ATV2 numerous times / Established a NEW Apple ID / Changed from wireless to wired connection / Rerouted ports, etc. There were other "fixes", all of which failed.

What FINALLY resolved the problem for me was working closely with my ISP. Fortunately, they are very customer service oriented and sent out technicians 3 times to determine why I couldn't connect. Once they brought out a *business* cable modem, which uses different software and doesn't block ports on their end, it became apparent that the problem was on THEIR end. The ISP was blocking access to one of the ports that Apple uses (sorry, I've forgotten which one, but I think it was 123). They made a software modification to the cable modem and opened the port(s) Apple uses, and VOILA(!) I could log in immediately.

Perhaps you might try contacting your ISP to see if they might be blocking one (or more) of the ports on their end.

Good luck!