unable to take internet connection wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benmrii, Nov 17, 2007.

1. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Just had my BrightHouse internet activated at home. It works quite well when connected via Ethernet Cable. I reset and updated my Airport Extreme Base Station to 5.7 and created my wireless network. I'm showing good connections all around, getting an IP address, etc. but I can't connect to the web.

Web browsers take an inordinately long time to declare that I'm not connected to the internet. The only error message I've gotten anywhere is that I'm not online but the base station seems to be fine, networks under system preferences state I'm online and the internet works fine so long as it is wired. Any tips? Thanks

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Might be a DNS issue. What are your DNS settings on your router?

3. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

sorry, when it comes to any networking/internet issues I am 100% clueless (if you didn't already notice). =)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Under the Airport Utility, Internet, Internet Connection tab the fields titled DNS Server(s) are blank. It is set to connect via Ethernet, configure using DHCP. That helpful?

I'm also noticing now that there is no IP address given... no address under the Airpot Utility Internet Connection part and I did replug the Ethernet cable into it and reset to be sure.

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Try putting these IPs in your Airport's DNS settings:

Code:
    I'm confused about your DHCP problem. The basestation isn't getting an IP address from your ISP but your computer does when you connect it directly? Is there some kind of authentication required?

5. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

thanks, but no change. i'm still showing under the internet connection tab on the airport utility no IP address or router address and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255. the DNS Servers are what you had me put in. under network preferences i show that airport is connected to my network with the IP address 172.16.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, router 172.16.1.1

but still the same result. open a web browser it looks like it is connected but never loads anything and eventually says i'm not connected

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Okay was wrong about the dns issue. The problem is the router isn't being recognized. I'm almost thinking this is just a normal delay since this is a new account. Anyway, can you give me more information as to the settings of your basestation? Is it set up as a bridge? Stuff like that (your computer settings should be fine).

7. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

i appreciate your patience and your help. i am not sure why but this last time resetting the modem and then doing a hard reset of the base station seems to have taken care of it. thanks so much!