Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zowenso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
MA
Good morning. I’m hoping somebody can help me. Last week I airdropped some pictures to my iMac and put them on my external hard drive as I do once a week and also attempted to put them on a flash drive as I always do. There seemed to be an issue with the transfer to the flash drive and I eventually removed the flash drive without properly ejection which I think has caused some issues with my mac.

I noticed last night when I was airdropping new pictures to my Mac that there are files in my download folder that I believe are the files that were in the process of being downloaded to my flash drive when I improperly pulled it out last week (you can see them in the background of picture I posted). I have since re-airdropped and put those files on my external hard drive, which is always plugged into my Mac.

When I noticed these files in my download folder last night, I tried to trash them and I’m getting this pop-up seen in the picture. Could this be because my external hard drive is plugged in at all times and good versions of those messed up files are now in my download folder as well as the external hd? Could the external hard drive be the app using the files and the reason I can’t trash? Should I eject the external hd? Ever since I pulled the flash drive last week my computer seems to be acting weird.

Any help would be incredible. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• IMG_2182.jpeg
    IMG_2182.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A "Fishrrman stupid question":

Have you tried a full shutdown, followed by a reboot?

Reactions: zowenso

zowenso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
MA
A "Fishrrman stupid question":

Have you tried a full shutdown, followed by a reboot?
Thanks so much for the response. Mmm, I did a “restart” if that’s what’s you mean? Is there more to a reboot or is that just a restart? I did a “restart” last night and tried to trash the files in the download folder again this morning and got the same pop up. Super appreciate your help.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Have you tried connecting both the external drive and flash drive at the same time?
And then, tried emptying the trash?

If that doesn't work. Again, both drives connected.
Try opening the trash icon.
Then, click on the items inside ONE AT A TIME.
If there is a "put back" option, try that.
Or, see if you can drag them OUT OF the trash onto the desktop.

Reactions: zowenso

zowenso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
MA
Have you tried connecting both the external drive and flash drive at the same time?
And then, tried emptying the trash?

If that doesn't work. Again, both drives connected.
Try opening the trash icon.
Then, click on the items inside ONE AT A TIME.
If there is a "put back" option, try that.
Or, see if you can drag them OUT OF the trash onto the desktop.
Hey, there again. I do appreciate this.

So, the items aren’t stuck in the trash, they are stuck in my “download folder” found in “Finder”. I’m trying to move them into my trash but that’s when I get that pop up and I’m afraid to click “continue” in the pop up for fear of messing something up or losing pictures etc. I can drag them one by one into the trash, I just tried, but that pop up has me worried about following through with the process. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.