Unable to uninstall Chrome

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RealRedHair, Jan 5, 2011.

1. RealRedHair macrumors newbie

Hello!

I'm trying to uninstall Chrome browser. Tried to drag it to trash, tried to delete the folder with cmd backspace. It asks my admin password but the app remains.

What to do?:)

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program?

3. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

GGJstudios certainly provides a very effective way right there. If you prefer a bit of a simpler option is the $13 app AppZapper. Work's like a dream, just drag in the app and it will delete everything for you.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppZapper and other software removal apps are ineffective, as they do not delete everything:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10903768&postcount=7

5. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

6. RealRedHair thread starter macrumors newbie

7. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

See that your permissions are read and write enabled using the Get Info command in the contextual menu in Finder. read and write must be enabled for your account for your Google Chrome.app if you want to delete Google Chrome.

When you search for Google Chrome in Finder be aware that there are 4 Google folders in various places(cache,application support and I think one more spot.) Don't delete the Google Sync folders however. I think those are for Mail and iCal syncing to a Google account.

If you want to try a Google Chrome that can be deleted like any other app with TrashMe(my favorite) or another appcleaner then look no further than Chromium from: http://www.freesmug.org/chromium

build to support Sparkle updates and it follows the stable releases of Google Chrome they say. Right now it's at v8.something. which follows the stable Google Chrome release nicely.

I don't know why else Google Chrome wont get off your Mac. But snoop around your permission and sharing settings first.

8. RealRedHair thread starter macrumors newbie

Using finder I could delete but using path finder I could not delete chrome. Solved.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All app cleaners, including TrashMe, leave files/folders behind, and are not as complete as manual deletion. See my earlier posts.

10. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

After you thrash the app, look in user/app/support/google for a a Google folder that you must delete also.

11. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I know this. I don't need lectures on this. I too have a Smart Search set up to take care of these situations.

What you failed to put in your quote was that the Chromium release I mentioned does uninstall completely with the uninstaller I use which is TrashMe. I haven't had the need to use my Smart Search to locate additional Chromium folders or files. Of course, you do what is best for you and I do what is best for me, alright? I'm merely suggesting.

It's tiring to get uptight comments stuck up your face. Good night.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sensitive much? It wasn't a lecture. It was a simple statement of fact, for the benefit of anyone reading the thread who might be misled into believing that TrashMe or similar apps are thorough in removing all files related to deleted apps. I didn't tell you not to use it, or tell you to use the manual method or tell you anything at all, other than to refer to my earlier posts for details on my statement. I could care less what you do. I do care that readers of this thread have balanced, factual information. The OP wasn't asking for a suggestion of another browser app. They were asking how to remove the one they have.