Unable to update Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by digbyp, Nov 13, 2010.

1. digbyp macrumors regular

Currently, I am unable to update apps, either with Windows iTunes v10.1 or directly from iPhone 4. This started happening yesterday, on iTunes v10.0 before I updated to v10.1.

On the iPhone over edge, 3G or wi-fi, it just says 'cannot connect to iTunes Store'. In iTunes I click on Check for Updates and at top of screen it says accessing iTunes store and within a second just disappears/stops. I have logged out, I have re-started the iPhone 4, I have re-started computer I have tried both US + UK accounts, same thing

I can download new apps

Anyone else experiencing the same right now. I guess not as it would be in the forum

thanks guys (and girls)

2. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Yep, a lot of people are unable to update their apps from iTunes on Windows or Mac OS X (though I can from my iPhone 4.)

There is a thread about this on Apple's discussion forums.

I suspect that Apple has temporarily deactivated updating of apps until they can get the GM version of iOS 4.2 reworked before release...

3. RobNor, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

RobNor macrumors regular

I cannot update on my iphone 4 or ipad when I click on updates in the App store app on either machine I get 'Cannot connect to itunes Store'.I noticed this because in the App store there was a new version of Tunein Radio which was not showing in the updates in either the ipad or iphone so I clicked on it as though to buy it and I got the message that I could update the app for free which I did and it updated okay.The last updates I received automatically were on 11/11/10.

Updates are showing in itunes (10.1 on PC)

4. genshi, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

An interesting development if you have checked out the apple discussion thread... If you have the Ship Finder app, this is what is preventing all of your apps from being updated.

The Ship Finder developer is aware of the bug and is desperately working with Apple to get it fixed, but in the mean time, if you have the Ship Finder app, delete it from your iTunes, trash it and empty the trash, then sync your iPhone (making sure not to transfer the app back into iTunes if it is still on your iPhone ) and now app updates will be working again! I just did this and all is working as it should now.

These two threads need to be merged.

5. RobT, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

I can update apps fine on iTunes 10.1 and on my iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1

i can update apps on my iPad running iOS 4.2GMb using iTunes but if I try to install a paid app I had purchased already, I get a "cannot connect to iTunes store" error and the install fails.

So, problem for me is only when re-downloading paid apps directly to iPad running iOS 4.2GM. Free apps or new purchases work fine. Weird.

Update: Found this post on Apple support forums which resolved thenisse for me fwiw

"I met the same problem and a hard reset resolves the problem. Simply hold Home and Sleep key simultaneously for about 10 seconds, until iPad reboots. Ignore the "Slide to Shut down" indication." * *

6. digbyp thread starter macrumors regular

Removing Ship Finder resolved my problem - thanks

7. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

You're welcome. For others that have this specific issue but don't have the Ship Finder app installed, apparently there is another app with the same bug called "The Sylvan Archives". If you trash that app, you'll be able to update your other apps again.

8. leeus macrumors member

Fixed!

Ship Finder was fixed earlier by Apple which is great news. If you deleted it to get the updates working you can download it again from http://bit.ly/SFinder