Unable to update equipment online

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lodesman, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Lodesman macrumors regular

Lodesman

Anyone else feel the frustration when you but a piece of kit and find that the ability to update it online is banjaxed by the fact that the update program is only available for Windows.

Is there a way to get round this (apart from buying a Windoze 'pooter) ?

In my case it is the built in media/satnav gizmo in my new car that needs to be updated.

2. simsaladimbamba

You could always try a Windows Virtual Machine inside Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox.

Or ask a friend with Windows for help.

And maybe give the company you get the updates from some feedback about your OS usage, maybe if they see enough interest, they might include Mac OS X in their routine.

3. g4cube macrumors 6502a

When cheap refurbished desktops running Win7 can be had for less than $100, and brand new bare bones laptops for $300, or even Boot Camp on you Mac, you have many options. Heck, those refurbished computers for <$100 include a Win7 license. Same price you'd pay for a license alone.

You won't get cooties owning a pc. Think of it as another tool in the toolbox.

4. Lodesman thread starter macrumors regular

Lodesman

Thanks everyone, I still have an elderly Windoze 'pooter lying around, I'll use that.

I'm still a OSX newbie and experiencing the frustrations of many who make the change and don't anticipate the differences between the two systems.

I get used to it in the end (too expensive not to !)

I refuse to accept that getting older means you are unable to adapt. Stay on the treadmill until you actually fall off, after all, there will be plenty of time to relax when they nail down the lid.

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I keep Parallels w/ Win7 on my computer just for these reasons.
    IMHO that would be the cheaper easier route to take.

You don't have to keep a physical Windows computer at all and you only turn Parallels on if/when you ever NEED to use Windows.

6. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Don't forget the cost of the Windows license :D

7. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I don't think about that much for others because I have a volume license for work and home office.

You're still looking at what $150 - 160 maybe for Win7 license key and Parallels.

for me, my space is important so I don't need to keep that Windows desktop + monitor + keyboard mouse combo and my Mac workstation.

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I own Parallels and use it frequently with Windows 8.1 but actually find my Windows 7 Bootcamp installation to be more useful for running device firmware update programs, etc.

The Samsung Magician software for my (Thunderbolt enclosure-attached) Samsung 840 EVO SSD, for example, will not work under Parallels where the device is not properly recognized in the virtual machine.

9. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I have Windows laptops so not really an issue. But also I have Windows 7 Bootcamp on an external Thunderbolt SSD that I can plug in and boot up should I need to. So my Mac is clean OSX but I still have W7 boot option should I need it.

(I also have linux bootable media for my Mac which I use from time to time as well.)

10. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

More and more mobile devices update OTA, with no more need to physically connect to a computer. I always kept an old ThinkPad around for those rare cases where updating via pc was the only answer, but these days I don't have anything that needs it. Built-in satnav updates via computer? I thought only the dealership did that. My daughter's TomTom GSP unit updates via my iMac just fine.