Unable to update iPhone 4 via iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ravenmaven, Mar 2, 2013.

1. ravenmaven macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm aware that my iPhone 4 iOS cannot be updated via wifi because I'm running iOS 4.2, so I need to update to latest iPhone iOS via iTunes.

However, even after connecting iPhone to iTunes 10.6 on Macbook, and my iPhone is recognized as a device in iTunes, when I click on the device, pull up the summary screen, click on the "update" button to update to the newest iPhone iOS, the pop-up simply says I'm running the most current version if iTunes. Well, that's all fine and dandy but it's I'm clicking on the iPhone iOS update button, not iTunes.....Any help is welcome.

Thanks!!

2. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Why don't you update iTunes to the latest version (11.0.2) and see if that solves the issue?

Alternatively, you could try downloading the latest iOS firmware and try to update the phone by clicking on the restore button while holding down the alt/option key. Then you select the firmware manually that you just downloaded. But I'm not sure if it works with an outdated version of iTunes.

(you can download it here: http://dreamjb.net/2013/02/ios-6-1-2-firmware-reday-download-links/ , or do a google search for "ios 6.1.2 iphone 4 ipsw")