Unable to update Snow Leopard - 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DeepIn2U, Dec 6, 2010.

1. DeepIn2U, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I apologize in advance if posted in the wrong sub-forum [mods' please adjust if needed]

OK, I'm unable to update from 10.6.4 Snow Leopard to the 10.6.5 Security Update - either from built-in Software Update, the downloaded 10.6.5 Combo update, or the full 644MB OS X 10.6.5 Update. Using Disk Utility to Verify or Repair Disk Permissions I see the error - "Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreS... as been modified and will not be repaired". Also my Mac Mini 2.0Ghz 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD is pretty much on 24/7 and I've rebooted several times after each attempt listed above and running Disk Utility before each reboot and before each attempt.

An aside to this ... I'm unable to use the numeric keys above the keypad on my Apple Keyboard Pro [aluminum] for the past 20days. Yes I've checked System Preferences:
    Keyboard: Restore Defaults, Full keyboard access = All Controls, Modifier keys = [only Apple Keyboard is selectable], and I've restored defaults, Expose Fkeys have been removed [tried and set back to no avail]. Lastly, I'm unable to use the powered USB ports on my Dell monitor which worked just a few days ago before my wife moved around the desk - doubtful she would've damaged anything [she knows I'm anal about the Mac - I work with PCs].

I'm unsure if all are related and I DO recall having to do the 10.6.4 Combo update from the original shipping Snow Leopard.

Have I missed anything to test? Any help would be appreciated as this is the family Mac - wife and kids rely on this.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Looks like you've tried a lot of things. Maybe it's time to format and start totally fresh. You have a Time Machine backup right?

3. DeepIn2U thread starter macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I have a Time Machine Backup ... several in fact. But I've never formated and retrieved from it since I began using a Mac [April for family machine affected, and February for MB which doesn't have issues]. I'm hoping that all my software will also be retrieved and intact.

What happens if I format and keep the Mac's HDD default [currently its custom], and change my logon [the primary of 2 admin accounts] on the machine? will this disallow me access to my documents/pictures/videos/textedits etc etc? I'm really worried about this. Sorry I've been trained in a windows world and even with Win7 this is something to avoid and not fun to sift through so the fear is sunk in REALLY deep.

Is there no other alternatives?

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

that is probably nothing to worry about. see this support article on permission repair messages you can safely ignore.

you could try this:

(a) download the Mac OS X v10.6.5 Update (Combo) (if you didn't already)
    (b) reboot into safe mode
    (c) launch disk utility, verify disk and repair permissions
    (d) if DU doesn't report anything out of the ordinary, run the combo
    (e) after running the combo, let the Mac reboot normally and repair permissions again.

5. karl878 macrumors member

Think your problem is, at some time you created an absolutely undeletable file.

As Administrator, open Terminal and run: sudo chflags -R nouchg /
    Close Terminal.
    Then, run update to 10.6.5.

What this does:
    sudo : execute the command which follows as the super user
    chflags : this is a command which sets or removes extended file system attributes of files or folders
    -R make changes recursively (i.e. change all subfolders and subfolders of subfolders)
    nouchg remove the uchg attribute from files or folders (this attribute is synonymous with the Locked status of a file or folder in the finder).

6. DeepIn2U thread starter macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I tried this and it would've been nice to know that Terminal would ALSO look at my 2TB external HDD where my backups are in advance. Thus far a crap-load of "Operation Not Permitted" is resulted for each file/location for folders. But its still running and will take a while.

Jolly Giant, I'll try your solution - I think I tried to boot in safe mode and forgot to post about it. I am the administrator for the home Mac Mini, along with my wife.

already tried C/D"launch disk utility, verify disk and repair permissions
    (d) if DU doesn't report anything out of the ordinary, run the combo" non work due to the original posted error about "System\Library\CoreS..."; just not in safe mode so I'll try it as you posted.

Many Thanks guys and will post tomorrow to let you know the results of all suggestions. I really hope this works.

7. DeepIn2U, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

DeepIn2U thread starter macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

result under safe boot:

reported successful following your instructions, just rebooting.

8. DeepIn2U thread starter macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I must say " THANK YOU". This actually resolved my issue. Rebooted and confirmed. Also this allowed me to finally updated the HP printer, Safari 5.0.3, and Java updates after the reboot.

karl878, to your credit I tried your resolution before doing the above. Problem was my attached 2TB WD HDD was included in the Terminal check and after taking so long I left it overnight to complete running which crashed Terminal.

Thank you guys ... VERY much. I actually kissed my Mac Mini.

9. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

we all get those. more in this support article.

THAT's what counts !

we aim to please ;)

10. jpwat81 macrumors newbie

11. karl878 macrumors member

The value of "2000" you mention reminded me of the discussion about SMART board software, which installed a file: /etc/launchd.conf with: limit maxfiles 2000 2000 . The normal value for kern.maxfiles is 12288. (The value is normally reset to this every time you reboot.)

If the only thing in /etc/launchd.conf is the above (setting max open files), then remove launchd.conf. (Sudo rm /etc/launchd.conf.)

If launchd.conf has additional lines, you would have to modify the file.

Adobe forum has additional info: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/557967?tstart=0

12. DeepIn2U thread starter macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

That "solution" looks like more trouble that it's worth without fully going indepth to what is done - what is expected to work, and what errors are expected if it doesn't: along with how to fix errors with a solution.