Unable to update Vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tmoney468, Mar 19, 2008.

1. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

The title pretty much says it all. I've installed Vista on my Mac and I've tried running Windows update but I keep getting error codes. I got one error code and googled it for a fix, and after I restarted and tried again I got different error code.

Has anyone run into this problem? I thought I would give Vista a shot since SP1 is out. I just don't want to have to reboot 10+ times doing fix/hack after hack in order to update the machine.

2. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Did you try to just update to SP1...the SPs usually contain all previous critical updates...try that and see what happens.

3. tmoney468 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually SP1 requires that you install all of the other updates BEFORE you can install it. I can't even access the Windows Update at all, it just gives me random error codes. I guess I could track down every code and do a fix for it and hope it fixed the problem.

4. mkrad macrumors member

I've tried to update Vista 32 VM in Parallels and it keeps giving me an error code and reference to Microsoft site but gives me only instructions to "reboot, reinstall, restart, blaah.. blaaah, leading me to the realization it is not ready for prime time - or maybe will not upgrade a virtual machine. Anyone tried to update a Vista Parallels partition??!?

5. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Is this an original MSDN 32bit version? I had the same prob with the MSDN release.

6. mkrad macrumors member

It's an upgrade of WinXP - not that it should make any difference (?)

7. tmoney468 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine is the original MSDN version, so I wonder what's up with that. I've installed it on a PC at home and it seems to update fine.