Unable to upgrade to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TitanJeff, Apr 27, 2011.

1. TitanJeff macrumors regular

TitanJeff

I'm current running 10.4.11 on a 2.2 GHz MBP with 2 GB of Ram. I wanted to update to Snow Leopard but, when I load the disc and launch the installer, it asks to restart the computer. When it does, it spins up and then ejects and my 10.4.11 system is launched.

I thought this was compatible but confused as to why it's not working. Holding down "C" while booting isn't working either. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Is it the 29 USD Upgrade DVD of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard you are using?

3. TitanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

TitanJeff

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It's a legit version, right? You didn't obtain it illegally? If so, there may be an issue with the disc drive. About 0.5-1 seconds after you hit the power button to turn on the computer, hold the lefthand side option key. Hold it until you see a boot source selector. Wait until OS X Install Disc (or something similar) pops up on the screen. When it does, select it. Give it a minute or two to load the installer from the disc.

5. orion23 macrumors newbie

I might also try a drag and drop of the Snow Leopard Install DVD contents onto your hard drive, to check disc integrity. Just hold down the Command key while dragging and dropping the mounted DVD image from your desktop to your Macintosh HD. If the copy fails, there could be a problem with the disc's readability. Check to make sure the print on the DVD artwork states "Mac Box Set".

6. TitanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

TitanJeff

Yes, legit and the option key launch worked perfectly.

I'd been having some issues with my current OS with the beach ball spinning every few minutes for about 15-30 seconds so thought it might be a good idea to do a repair. Got the message that my hard drive needed to be reformatted.

So I better do that before updating. Thanks for your help.