Unable to use 1920x1080@2 on 27" iMac after 10.9.3?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tredstone, May 19, 2014.

1. tredstone macrumors regular

I'm probably in a very small minority here, but I've been using SwitchresX to run my 27" iMac at 1920x1080@2 (HiDPI), which has been a happy medium between resolution and readibility for me. It's not as sharp as my rMBP but the text and images clearly benefit from the HiDPI option being enabled, and I can always jump to the full 2560x1440 when I need the workspace.

Anyways, I haven't been able to successfully enable this mode following the 10.9.3 update. Has anyone had this issue or figured out a workaround?

2. mygocarp macrumors newbie

I've got this same problem. I don't use an iMac, but I use an external display with 2560x1440 resolution, I used 1080p@2x just like you because at native res everything was too small for me. 10.9.3 seems to be interfering with manually setting virtual resolutions or even enabling HiDPI as 720p HiDPI doesn't show up or work anymore.

Perhaps we could write to SwitchResX's author to look into a workaround?

I've just been using regular 1080p with the blurriness in the meantime.

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Hold down the "option" key before you click "scaled", you may able to see all the resolution again.

[​IMG]

4. mygocarp macrumors newbie

I use a Dell U2713HM. Holding down option reveals additional resolutions, but no HiDPI ones unfortunately.

5. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

May be you can try to reset the HiDPI setting in Quartz Debug.

6. tredstone thread starter macrumors regular

I've been struggling in the switch back to 2560x1440 native since losing the HiDPI setting with 10.9.3. 1920x1080@2 wasn't a perfect 4 pixels : 1 pixel scaling, but for my purposes it was almost like upgrading my iMac to a retina display.

7. Klack3er, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

Klack3er macrumors newbie

Klack3er

I have exactly the same problem!

I use a Macbook Pro Retina 15 with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (Late 2013) and a Apple Thunderbolt Display when im at home... with 10.9.2 + SwitchresX i always used 1920x1080 (HiDPI) and it was perfect for me. After updating to 10.9.3 i thought its maybe the problem of the Nvidia Card, but when u all have the same prob, even on different macs like the imac aso, then it must be the update. After the update to 10.9.3 i still could see and use some (now different then before) HiDPI Settings, so HiDPI was still enabled, but they were all not fitting for the Thunderbolt Display and created black frames around the workspace or were ridiculous low like 720x450!
    Did apple change the drivers maybe?

My eyes are not the best and the native 2560x1440 resolution of the 27inch Thunderbolt Display is just unusable for me because of the small fonts. I would love to use the space, but the small texts are a no go for my eyes... :( I tried to enlarge the fonts or zoom in and so on but the menus wont become bigger, so there was no use.

I tried for 2 days with some tricks or other programs similar to SwitchresX, but nothing worked. Now im back to 10.9.2 and its fine again for now. But of course this situation is also kinda ****** because now i cant install mac os x updates anymore...

Would be great if anyone has a clue what happened with this update and why resolutions that worked before like a charme (like the here discussed 1920x1080hidpi) suddenly are not working anymore, even if its the same mac + same display. There must be a solution for this, im just not technical enough to find it out.

Edit: And By the way, i can see the 'retina' resolutuion for the Thunderbolt Display of 1280x720 HiDPI (exactly half of 2560x1440) and click on it, but then nothing happens. The resolution stays exactly the same and asks if its okay. Doesnt matter if i say yes or no then. So even this doesnt work

8. mygocarp macrumors newbie

I suspect that the issues are due to the the changes Apple made for 4K displays in 10.9.3. Currently 4K displays are pretty wonky regarding compatibility, and require some configuration to get working properly. With the update, Apple did the configuration busy work out of the way and enabled HiDPI modes on them.

The side effect is that whatever methods we were using to allow 1080P@2X are no longer valid with the changes Apple made. That doesn't explain why a regular 720P@2X doesn't work though, as it is a non scaled @2X resolution.

9. tredstone thread starter macrumors regular

I can confirm the 720P@2x works on a 27" iMac.

10. Klack3er macrumors newbie

Klack3er

I have really no idea why. I click on 1280x720 HiDPI and nothing happens. The panel pops up and asks if this resolution is okay but it doesnt change anything. Even on 10.9.2. i just tried it again. nothing. Shrugs :( On another thread i read that someone else had the same problem with the retina macbook. maybe it is something with the nvidia card. i dont know. But at least in 10.9.2 i have the 1080hidpi resolution what i fine with me. i just wish it would work in 10.9.3 too.

i use my macbook in clamshell mode btw when its hooked up to the thunderbolt display, i dont know if this matters or not

11. kemsei macrumors newbie

I have the same problem on a MBPR Retina late 2013, since I updated. I tried Nvidia's latest driver but nothing changes. I just can't activate an HIDPI resolution for my Thunderbolt display.

I hope SwitchResX is aware of the problem and will solve it quickly

12. mygocarp macrumors newbie

So Quickres (The app I was using to get 1080p HiDPI) had an update a couple of days ago.

I've updated to version 4, and I can use any order of HiDPI resolutions now. Oddly though, 1080p HiDPI doesn't show up to be selected and 720p HiDPI doesn't work.