Unable to use data on AT&T while talking?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jonboy71, Aug 7, 2012.

1. jonboy71 macrumors newbie

I have had an iPhone ever since the 1st gen was released. I never had problems using data while talking on my iPhone until around the time iOS5 came out. Now I rarely can send MMS pics while talking but I can receive them. If I hang up, I can send them just fine. This goes for other iphone users I know on the AT&T network. and most apps that require internet just spin until i hang up the phone. Is this a known issue?

2. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

If you're on the Edge (2G) network, you will not be able to use data and voice simultaneously. It's been a while since I've been on Edge, but I think if there is no symbol next to the AT&T when you call somebody, you're on Edge and not 3G.

Also, in my experience when talking on the phone, the 3G internet can also be slower but I don't remember it ever not working for a prolonged period of time.

3. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I'm not sure when but at some point AT&T started throttling 3G data to below edge speeds while on phone calls.

I believe the must be throttling it to the same threshold that users with unlimited data who have gone over AT&T's cap get throttled to.

Knowing AT&T they probably did it the day they stopped running ads advertising the ability to talk and use data simultaniously on their network.

4. jonboy71 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not on Edge Network when this happens and it's been an issue not specific to any one location, time of day, etc.