Unable To Use Mac Book Pro Due To Issue On First Startup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by super chimp, Mar 21, 2008.

1. super chimp macrumors 6502

I have never owned a MAC before & when I turned on my new MBP as part of it's start-up process it wanted to connect to a wi fi network for internet access, their seemed to be no way to bypass the particular screen so I just turned it off again & haven't been able to use it since. Unfortunately due to issues with my desktop/ISP I have not been able to sort out my wi fi network. Therefore I want to know is there anyway of using my MBP for the first time either without having to connect to the Internet or by using another method to connect to the internet such as a 3G USB modem or my mobile phone as modem?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You could Wire yourself to the Network, or just say you'll register later.

TEG

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

This screen is easily bypassed, though I don't remember how off the top of my head. I know you don't HAVE to connect to a WiFi network to use a Mac for the first time though. Are you reading carefully? As I recall the setup process is pretty well explained.

Oh! Is it for registering? Just hit Cmd+Q when the registration screen comes up, or enter your details and then say "register later" when it's looking for a network.

4. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502

The screen in question has a list of nearby wi fi networks & underneath it asks you to pick one to continue. Really I just want to bypass this whole bit for now because I don't think you can setup a USB modem until you have got the MBP running as normal. I can then register the MBP using the modem.

By the way I assume USB 3.5G HSDPA modems work OK with Mac's?

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can just select none, or there should be a "No Thanks" button on the screen. Yes you can use any network connection to register, if you even choose to. I belive the USB Dialup modem works at first start up, but not sure about the Cellular Modems (most work without any problems normally).

TEG

6. Quint macrumors member

One of the options on the bottom of the screen should be 'different network setup' . You can choose this and then choose your network option or choose 'This computer does not connect to the internet'.