Unable to use Office 2008 apps simultaniously

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rjg125, Mar 14, 2008.

1. rjg125 macrumors newbie

I have Office 2008 for mac which based on the promotions and ads, comes with 3 installs. The problem we are having now is that when two computers are running an Office app, the second machine that started the apps gets a message saying that only one computer can run office in the same network? Is that by design?

2. Cloudscout macrumors newbie

Only the Home and Student edition comes with three licenses... and each of those licenses comes with its own registration code so you can run them simultaneously on up to three computers.

The other two versions (Standard and Special Media editions) allow you to install on two computers (a desktop and a laptop) but you are explicitly forbidden from running it on both at the same time.

3. oliverlubin macrumors regular

check out a program called LittleSnitch, it may help.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Can you post links to these promotions or ads? If it's anything like 2004 then the installs are for 1 person only: you are allowed 2 or 3 installs on machines you own, but only use one at one. For example you can install it on your personal desktop and personal laptop, but as you only have 2 hands you will only be using one at once.

I'd imagine what you are trying to do is not what you are licensed to do and, as such, you are unlicensed.

Edit to add: I note that the version you seem to be using, the "Home and Student" version is only licensed for non-commercial use. So if you are using this in an office environment you are unlicensed.