unable to verify hd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thebro20, Jan 14, 2015.

1. thebro20 macrumors regular

I have a late 2013 rmbp and i decided to verify the disk. when i did i get the following failure saying i need to repair the disk by booting into recovery mode and into disk utility.

"Storage system check exit code is 0.
    Verifying file system.
    Using live mode.
    Checking catalog file.
    Checking catalog hierarchy.
    Checking extended attributes file.
    The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
    File system check exit code is 8.Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility."

after i boot into recovery and repair a using disk utility, when i log back in and run the verify to make sure everything is okay, i get the same failure again. Any ideas on whats wrong or where to go from here?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There may be nothing wrong:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/26854881
    I take from that thread that if you can boot successfully to Safe Boot mode, and Disk Utility will pass the Repair Disk, then that's what you should trust as the correct condition.

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the only thing i have to contribute is to make sure you unlocked the disk , because yosemite likes to turn on file vault

you can either boot into recovery mode and right click the disk I'm disk utility and select unlock disk before running verify disk

or

you can go to terminal and type
    "sudo fdesetup authrestart" to reboot the mac into an unlocked state so you can run single user mode and then type
    fsck -fy

i haven't tried booting into safe mode ( command s) on a file vaulted disk. so i dunno for sure if this is possible or not or even needed, heh

4. thebro20 thread starter macrumors regular

turning off fire vault does the trick