Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Using El Capitan Apple Mail, what is this new message I am receiving on messages RECEIVED from folk's. The Message return address contains the NEW line: Security: (checkmark logo) Signed. On top of the return address in the message is the Apple message that: Apple Mail is Unable to verify message signature.

This is new to me in El Capitan, what is it?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Maybe this Apple support article will help...

And, this article also indicates some additional information that may be relevant for you... The problem CAN be caused by the sender (not you!)

Thanks for responding. I am beginning to receive these messages from a forum I belong to. Not all the members are getting the message attached to their forum submissions, just some of the people.

And the message doesn't stop me from receiving the forum posts, it just warns me there is something funny about certain email member posts.

I guess since I am responding to forum posts and not the individual email posts, there is nothing bad going to happen, maybe only if I were to try to send an email directly to them.

Does that sound reasonable?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I read the articles, I just did not understand why the warnings are appearing in a forum post from only a few individuals and not all the emails from the forum?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Just to verify, the "unable to verify" message is when you get an email from the forum (related to certain users in the forum), but not on the forum site itself, correct? (that would be a very different issue, and not connected to your email in any way)
Yes, I agree, it sounds strange.
But, you get emails, with a type of security notice. It's a known issue, with several possible fixes, including contacting the sender.
But, the fix is likely simply accepting the certificate.
Did you try that yet?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Just to verify, the "unable to verify" message is when you get an email from the forum (related to certain users in the forum), but not on the forum site itself, correct? (that would be a very different issue, and not connected to your email in any way)
Yes, I agree, it sounds strange.
But, you get emails, with a type of security notice. It's a known issue, with several possible fixes, including contacting the sender.
But, the fix is likely simply accepting the certificate.
Did you try that yet?

Yes, only a few members forum posts, not from total forum posts.
Yes, I will ignore the security notices as I trust the forum owners.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Now I am confused...
You keep talking about forum posts.

Do you get the "unable to verify" message in the forum?
Or do you get the message in emails that are generated from the forum?

Are you simply going to ignore the messages without trying the tips about accepting the certificate?
Seems an easy fix (if it works), which will then enable to you to move forward without needing to ignore the notices (because you won't be getting them, eh?)

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Now I am confused...
You keep talking about forum posts.

Do you get the "unable to verify" message in the forum?
Or do you get the message in emails that are generated from the forum?

Are you simply going to ignore the messages without trying the tips about accepting the certificate?
Seems an easy fix (if it works), which will then enable to you to move forward without needing to ignore the notices (because you won't be getting them, eh?)
How can I FIX their problem. They have the problem, not me, or maybe I don't understand this certificate issue. Not everyone posting on this forum shows this issue, its just certain members of the forum when they post and I receive their forum post, BUT it aint everybody's issue at this forum, it's just certain members. AGAIN why is fixing up to me? What am I missing please?

What is their to ACCEPT? I read their email post, it's just marked by Apple Mail with this warning. Please tell me what I am to fix?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You would not be "fixing" everyone else's mail
You would be simply accepting the certificate.
The message window would (should) have a link to view the certificate - which is the issue. The tip that I posted tells you to try that.
Here's some info from your Mac Mail help files:
If Mail can’t verify a server or a signature, you can review the certificate.
  1. In the Verify Certificate dialog, click Show Certificate.

2. Review the certificate, then if you have confidence in the server or signature, select the checkbox to always trust the certificate or to acknowledge the signature is valid.

For information about current trust policies, click the Details disclosure triangle. To learn more about trust policies, see Certificate trust policies.

3. Click Connect or OK. If prompted, enter your account password.

If the certificate is a root certificate, enter the name and password of an administrator of the Mac you’re using.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
You would not be "fixing" everyone else's mail
You would be simply accepting the certificate.
The message window would (should) have a link to view the certificate - which is the issue. The tip that I posted tells you to try that.
Here's some info from your Mac Mail help files:
Thank you. Thanks to your patience w me, I now understand what Apple Mail is saying to me w the certificate issue. Will here on examine the senders certificate and respond accordingly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.