Unable to view contents of CD - "no default application"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SwamiGirl, Jul 24, 2009.

1. SwamiGirl macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm using an iBook G4 OS X Version 10.4.11.

I have a CD that has medical images on it (ultrasound photographs); I've put it into the CD drive and it comes up under "Finder" but when I click on anything, it comes up with "There is no default application specified to open the document "DecodJPG.dll" and gives me the choice of "Cancel" or "Choose Application". If I select "Choose Application", no matter what I choose, it doesn't take me to anything.

Alternatively, some of the files I click on automatically opens iPhoto, which looks like it's going to import the photos, but then I get the following message:
    "Unreadable Files: 1 The following files could not be imprted (they may be an unrecognized file type or the files may not contain valid data)."

Is anyone able to tell me why this might be happening and what I am able to do about it? I'm not very technical, so best to give simple answers please! :confused::confused::confused: Thank you.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It seems, that the CD you have got was made for the Windows Operating System (OS) and not Mac OS X, as a file like "DecodJPG.dll" is a file used in Windows, it's called a Dynamic Link Library and is needed for running applications in Windows, that most certainly have the suffix ".exe", which you might find on the CD too.

You may be able to run the CD via Boot Camp (http://www.apple.com/macosx/what-is-macosx/compatibility.html) or a virtual machine (VM), that enables you to run Windows in Mac OS X like it would be an application.
    Or you can ask for a Mac OS X version, if even possible. Or use a PC.

PS: The font you chose may look cute, but it is really uncomfortable to read.

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Like spinnerlys said, that particular file is not an image at all. Are there other files on the CD? If so,what are their names - in particular the extension.