Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squishi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum but here goes. I was given a dvd of some little league games of my son playing. Unfortunately I'm unable
to view it on my MacBook or my dvd player. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
From whom comes the DVD, and might that person have given you the wrong one?

Maybe it needs to be finalized, maybe it's something else, hard to tell over the line.

Can you see some kind of content via the Finder, or does it show up in Disk Utility?

Squishi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
It shows up on the desk top as dvd icon. When I click on the icon, I see the Quicktime icon with the MPEG below it. When i click on this icon, it says "The movie can not be opened. The file is not a movie file.". Is there a plug-in I need? Thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I don't know. Can you post more information on the file?

Maybe right click on it (or them) and select GET INFO (CMD+I) to see what it says under MORE INFO and NAME & EXTENSION.

And what is the size of the file?

4521583119_fdb30170aa_o.png

Squishi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Sorry for the delay. I don't how to do the grab feature.

Format: Universal Disk Format (UDF)
Used: 194.3 MB

Squishi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Here it is

Attachments

• Snapshot 2010-04-15 13-15-44.jpg
    Snapshot 2010-04-15 13-15-44.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 58

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Again, I meant the actual files, not the DVD itself.

You said, that you have gotten a DVD and are not capable to view the files on it.
So I want to know what format the files are in, so you need to select the FILE(S) and not the DVD to open the GET INFO window.

Do you understand what I mean?

4524401970_a864b4738a_o.png

Squishi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Sorry I don't mean to sound ignorant but how do I access the file(s)? I thought all I had to do was double click on the dvd on the desk top.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Sorry I don't mean to sound ignorant but how do I access the file(s)? I thought all I had to do was double click on the dvd on the desk top.

4524401970_a864b4738a_o.png

How good do you know Mac OS X?

A DVD is a storage medium like many else, so you browse to the DVD, select it on the left (Sidebar) and on the right should be files and folders, like with any other storage medium.
There you select the file(s) which gives you a problem and then right click on it, like shown in the graphic I made.

Squishi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Spinnerlys, I was able to view the dvd using Elgato Turbo.264. I guess I don't understand Os X as well as I thought. I'm still unable to extract the info you were asking for. At least I know how to "Grab"!! Thanks again for your help:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.