Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeonBible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
I have a Philips 247ELPH external monitor and its colors are not very accurate. I've tried several times to calibrate it — without calibration hardware equipment — but it doesn't get very accurate.

I use Apple's Display Calibrator Assistant and those times I didn't adjust the "Target White Point", the colors get pretty great — but it bothers me that the color difference in the rows (dark row, light row, dark row, light row etc.) in iTunes aren't visible at all! Otherwise it's pretty great. To get the rows visible, I have to adjust the "Target White Point", but then everything else is slightly unaccurate. White becomes a bit yellow, and the colors are slightly too warm.

I'll try again to calibrate it again today, but I have a few questions before I start:

1) Apple's Display Calibrator Assistant tells me to set the contrast to max but when I do that, the final result is pretty bad? Should I still calibrate it with max contrast or should I use the monitor's default settings?

2) Apple's Display Calibrator Assistant further tells me to have a screen brightness thus the circle in the measurement photo gets invisible. I try and try but it never gets fully invisible?

3) There are five steps of "Native Gamma". On the first few steps I don't manage to get the Apple icon fully invisible. Is this possible so early in the process?

4) I've heard we shouldn't adjust the "Target Gamma" nor the "Target White Point". Apple's Display Calibrator Assistant says that in most situations it's best to leave it on default. Is this true?

I am thankful for any answer. Thanks in advance!

mm201

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Bump.
I have the same screen now. I've been able to get decent colour by going into the OSD, Color, and selecting Custom with 100% for each channel. Then I run Apple's calibration tool.

I still have a problem with hue reproduction. Compared to my rMBP with perfect colour, the reds and greens are both yellow tinted. Since Apple's tool only corrects curves, not primaries, I really need an ICC profile from someone who's used a professional tool on this screen.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.