unactivated iphone 3g and existing AT&T data/voice plan

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by g000, Oct 6, 2008.

1. g000 macrumors newbie

apologies if this has been discussed, I did a forum search and cannot find any info on this, at least for iphone 3G.

I currently have USA AT&T data (3G capable) and voice plan on a samsung blackjack provided by my work. I would like to get this to work on iphone 3G. so I went out and bought an unactivated iphone 3G locally.

upon opening the box, the screen shows a pic to ask to connect to iTunes, but only allows 911 calls.

I then put in the SIM card from my samsung blackjack but it says "no service".

I am pondering what my next steps should be.

will the data and voice calls start working if I activate the phone via iTunes? or will it prompt me to activate by signing up for a new plan?

or should I instead look to jailbreak this before I can use this on ATT's network? i understand there's currently no way to unlock with software right now. so I'm trying to figure out the options. looked into proxy sims but those are not very reliable.

renewing contract with AT&T is not an option since this plan is not under my name.

thanks for any help or pointers!

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

You need to activate with iTunes or Pwnage, its up to you.

3. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Okay, the following SHOULD work:

1. Put your SIM in and use Quickpwn to Pwn and activate it
    2. You probably won't have service even if you wait for a bit... Connect the iPhone to iTunes and make sure it makes a backup.
    3. Restore the phone in iTunes via Recovery Mode and all that jazz.
    4. Now when the phone is at the activate screen plug it into iTunes and it should give you the option to restore from a backup. Do so, and you should be set methinks.

4. g000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Knolly,

u rock! it worked like a charm!

at first i was somewhat skeptical since i was afraid a complete recovery using recovery mode would remove the jailbreak. it still worked by following your instructions to the letter.

thanks again!

5. g000 thread starter macrumors newbie

one small problem though is that the installer app that came with the quickpwn disappeared after the itunes restore recovery mode.

does that mean my iphone 3g is not jailbroken any more?

should i re-run quickpwn again to get that back? would that deactivate my iphone?

thanks for any help and suggestions!

6. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Re-running quickpwn should do it. I'm not completely familiar with it, but if there's an option to activate the phone, DO NOT check that option.

7. jet23jay macrumors newbie

didn't work help.

I having the same problem, i followed your instruction but after the 3rd step, after i restore it via recovery mode, itune just went straight to activation place, and of course invalid sim display. So the backup is create when i sync the iphone with itune after i jailbreak correct? i attempt this several time, but no luck.
    thank you

8. jet23jay macrumors newbie

any help please

I have the same problem with you, but when i restore the iphone, it went directly to activate the iphone ( which I can't ) how can i solve this problem.
    thanks in advance