Unarchiving issues with chromium builds for mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by guitarak, Dec 21, 2009.

1. guitarak macrumors newbie

Hi all, hoping someone can help me with this. I've tried downloading the Chromium builds for Mac from http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-mac/
    Every time I download the zip file, I can't unzip the file. With Archive Utility, I get the error message: "Unable to unarchive "chrome-mac.zip" into "Downloads". (Error 1 - Operation not permitted)."

I tried with Stuffit, and get "An error occurred attempting to expand /Users/adamkaye/Downloads/chrome-mac.zip. The archive may be damaged (Error #17537)."

I tried with TheUnarchiver, and get "The contents of the file "chrome-mac.zip" can not be extracted with this program."

I've tried repairing permissions to no avail. Can't seem to find any help on any message boards, so any help is appreciated.

Am I downloading from the wrong site? Anyone have alternative sites for downloading Chromium? (I want to try extensions.)

Thanks!

2. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

It's the right site. I guess the question is: what web browser are you downloading the Chromium snapshots from?

I'm posting a "chrome-mac.zip". It's build 35137... (Latest Build as of this Post).

I tested it. It unzipped on my MacBook Pro running 10.6.2.

I don't think I'm breaking any rules by linking it. It's an untouched zip and I also uploaded an unzipped version (via DMG image). DMG doesn't really help you solve your unzipping issue but if you want to play around with the latest Chromium build in the meantime, go right a head.

Just remember, use at your own risk. Extensions are a little buggy (but getting better). Stick to Flash and Adblocking extensions as they have worked for me just fine.

35137 (Zipped): http://senduit.com/72ec3e

35137 (DMG): http://senduit.com/15ad42

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This site is a bit unstable. Your problematic downloads are incomplete. Do nothing else during your next download until it is complete. The extra trouble will be well worth it. The latest Chromium nightly is a dramatic improvement over the latest version of Chrome.

4. guitarak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the prompt response. The zipped file didn't work, but I downloaded the dmg and it did. FWIW, I'm using Firefox 3.5.6 on 10.6.2, but it didn't work downloading with Safari, either. And when I tried downloading the regular Chrome for Mac, I got a permissions error when I tried to drag the Application to the Apps folder.

But the DMG here did work. Where did you find it? I'd like to be able to update the builds occasionally.

Thx so much.

5. tonka2 macrumors member

6. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

No problem. I made the DMG myself from the extracted ZIP file.

The Chromium app in the DMG came from that ZIP file you can't extract. The ZIP archive should work.

You can check the checksum against mine (for the ZIP file) to see if your web browsers either butcher the download or you have a permissions issue (it's likely the latter is the case.)

Open Terminal:

For MD5: Type "md5 drop zip file in terminal" and press enter.
    For SHA-1: Type: "openssl sha1 drop zip file in terminal" and press enter

MD5: e264d9c401b3568394c71f4e073c1968
    SHA-1: 774b2d71afb14fc37ce371a3a8c46a2226a8d111