Unauthorized repair

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by matttrick, Jan 3, 2010.

1. matttrick macrumors 6502

So, recently I have considered buying some broken apple products to repair and sell to make some side money and as a hobby. Anyone had any experience doing things like this? I spend a fair amount of time on ifixit and most everything has a guide, and my family business conveniently leaves me with extra office space and lots of downtime. Thoughts or suggestions?

2. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Unless I really knew and trusted the person I was getting one of these unauthorized Apple repairs from, I would never do it., just a thought. Try searching around for any kind of old iPod, like an old Nano would be good, that you could get from a friend for a good deal and try taking it apart and putting it back together to get a feel for it.

3. matttrick thread starter macrumors 6502

im not looking to offer the service, more so just buying repairing and flipping. im working on a macbook at the moment, and its fun if nothing else but if i can fix and sell it, that would be awesome.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The problem is that a lot of broken Mac laptops have borked logic boards, which can't be repaired and would cost more than the computer is worth to replace. That said, I have had some success buying as-is computers on eBay for personal use.

However, you really should disclose the computer's spotty history when selling, and like Daniel, I'd be pretty reluctant to buy something like that.