Unauthorized screen sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by carobrock, Oct 31, 2008.

1. carobrock macrumors newbie

Has this happened to anyone here?

I was connected using an ATT 3G laptop card and someone enabled screen sharing, opened Finder and hit command F and attempted to search. I was away from my computer and was walking back to it when I saw the cursor moving around by itself.

I quickly took over and restarted.

Any help understanding how this could've happened would be appreciated.

2. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Do you have Screen Sharing turned on? If so, what settings.

3. carobrock thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding.

No, I had screen sharing set to off.

I did have file sharing on at the time, and only my Public Folder set as shared.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You know, now that you mention it, I had something strange happen recently, but I can't be 100% sure what happened because I didn't actually see it in action. About a week ago, I too had file sharing on but screen sharing off, and had my computer on but the screen dimmed in my room as I slept. A couple of times that night, I woke to find the screen had turned on, but I didn't think to check and see what activity if any was going on.

However, the next day I went to my dashboard to check my widgets, and found that all of them had been re-arranged and moved. And I know for a fact that no one has physical access to the computer.

Since then I turned off file sharing, and set my my computer to require a password after coming back from the screen saver or screen dimming, and haven't had anything weird happen since.

Strangely enough, I have two other Macs with screen sharing enabled but restricted to certain users and requiring a password. Those I've never had any issues with unauthorized screen sharing sessions.

5. carobrock thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's an update:

When I brought my computer out of sleep just now, the search window in Finder was open.

This is with file sharing disabled. My machine was on my home wifi before I took it off it to take to work. Now I'm at work to find this to be the case.

The first time this happened, this was on my laptop card on ATTs network. Someone must be logging my IP wherever I'm at.

Bummer.