Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrturtle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
i'm running snow leopard on a 20" G5 and i've been noticing quite a few oddities and glitches occurring over the past few months and they have only gotten worse.

I tried to format the HD but even under the Administrator profile an "Unauthorized" window will appear disallowing me to clean it. This window will also appear when i try to view the iDisk.

Is there a way to clean the HD somehow.

oh wont you please help

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i'm running snow leopard on a 20" G5 and i've been noticing quite a few oddities and glitches occurring over the past few months and they have only gotten worse.

I tried to format the HD but even under the Administrator profile an "Unauthorized" window will appear disallowing me to clean it. This window will also appear when i try to view the iDisk.

Is there a way to clean the HD somehow. Is this really a virus like i think it is?

oh wont you please help

It's NOT a virus! There ARE no viruses for Mac OS X, and trojans are fairly rare. There's a reason for everything, but don't make your first assumption that it's a virus. This isn't Windows. It's also 99.9% certain that you haven't been hacked. You should change your thread title to something more appropriate. You can do that by clicking the "Edit" button by your post, then "Go Advanced" to edit the title.

The chances are FAR greater that there are some things happening that you simply don't understand. You have to give yourself time to learn how a Mac works.
Now, what "oddities and glitches" have you been seeing?

mrturtle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
" Unauthorized " to format HD

thanks for the quick reply.sorry. i do know nothing. That's why i'm here.

one of these little errors or whatever it is. is that when sleep mode is set to a certain time it will go to sleep but after about 5 minutes it will flick on once quickly. and after going briefly back to a black screen the mac comes out of sleep mode. everytime

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
You're also not running Snow Leopard (10.6.x) on a G5 as SL is Intel only. Maybe providing some accurate info will help us help you better. ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

mrturtle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
okay great. that solves one problem. But is there any reason why i would not be authorized to do something as simple as view the iDisk?

iDisk is the remote disk used in MobileMe. Is that what you are trying to view or are you trying to view the local HD (Macintosh HD) on the system?

mrturtle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
iDisk is the remote disk used in MobileMe. Is that what you are trying to view or are you trying to view the local HD (Macintosh HD) on the system?

the iDisk. so i'm guessing since i don't have a mobileMe account that there is no reason to look at it and it has no correlation with the fact that the same window pops up when i try to format the hard drive

mrturtle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
so then my number one question. is there any reason why i would not be authorized to format the hard drive

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Why would you want to format your HD? It would wipe out your OS and your computer would become a paperweight.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
so then my number one question. is there any reason why i would not be authorized to format the hard drive

Most likely because you are trying to format the boot drive which you can't do while you are booted into it. You need to boot from the OS X install DVD and run Disk Utility from there to format the boot drive.

mrturtle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Most likely because you are trying to format the boot drive which you can't do while you are booted into it. You need to boot from the OS X install DVD and run Disk Utility from there to format the boot drive.

i would have not expected to get answers that quickly. Thank you.
JUst one more question

in theory (this may go against all your mac beliefs) could i just pop in a Tiger OS DVD and both format the HD and downgrade to Tiger in one swoop?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
JUst one more question

in theory (this may go against all your mac beliefs) could i just pop in a Tiger OS DVD and both format the HD and downgrade to Tiger in one swoop?

Yes.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
JUst one more question

You could as long as you are truly running a G5 system that originally came with Tiger or an earlier version of OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.