Unbalanced MBA ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chacolo, Aug 14, 2012.

1. chacolo macrumors member

Hi,
    when the lid is completely opened, I noticed that my MBA does not really lay down on its four rubber feet. If the lid is not completely opened, it seems to be ok. Should I worry about this ? Or is this kind of normal ?
    Thanks for any reply.

Attached Files:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How do you know it's not the surface you've put it on that's uneven?

3. chacolo thread starter macrumors member

It is marble ;)

----------

But checked on glass too

4. Mito, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

Mito macrumors regular

It´s common issue, hard drive (SSD) is located on the left side of Macbook Air, if you have for example 128GB SSD with 100GB of data (28gb free) your SSD is a lot heavier. You should delete something in order to bring back a balance.

Just kidding - bad table

5. chacolo thread starter macrumors member

Well. As the tables were either glass or marble, I guess they were super flat.

6. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Look, it's not about what it's made of. It could be made of diamonds, but it still could be wobbly.

The thing is, it's far more likely that it's your table's fault.

7. chacolo thread starter macrumors member

... It is just strange that three different tables show exactly the same behaviour.

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

...It's not your table. I guess people on here think that metal is more difficult to bend than marble or glass. its not about the table being level, its an uneven surface, which isn't likely.

OP: It's not horribly uncommon, but it's not really a big deal either unless the movement annoys you. If it does, matchbook? lol

9. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Try positioning the MBA the other way. If it still is unbalanced than its your table, otherwise the MBA's rubber feet is a tiny bit shorter.

10. chacolo thread starter macrumors member

Good positive control ;)
    I rotated it 90 degrees and the same feet showed the problem.

----------

The thing is that I only observe this when the LID is fully open.

----------

Also after typing it seems to be better. Do you think it can be fixed easily ?

11. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

Set a heavy book on it and leave it overnight?

Personally unless it annoys you while you are working this is a non issue.

12. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

In the picture in your first post, the lid is not fully open. :confused:

13. chacolo thread starter macrumors member

I swear it was fully open.
    Anyway Thank you all !!!!

14. bellboy1982 macrumors member

15. taipan61 macrumors 6502

well my first thought would be is the surface level? well the op says its stone and he placed it on glass too; and it still shows this imperfection...
    my second thought would be that perhaps it got dropped or bumped really hard...
    third thought is that it was a manufacturing defect in either the body (indent for foot pad deeper than spec), bad foot (it stays the same no matter which direction air is placed)...
    so, i would take it in to the apple store or at least call and see what they say, worst case is they point, giggle and say disparaging things and say they cannot help (not likely though as i've found most of the geniuses helpful in some respect)

16. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

I'd say it was much more likely the MBA to be honest, cut marble is dead flat and doesn't warp...ever.

17. Kafka macrumors 6502

Mine did the same. Open it, and try bending it gently with your hands. This did the trick for me.

18. chacolo thread starter macrumors member

Well I never dropped it. The computer looks brand new (I might have a tiny scratch but that is it). Marble is flat and I did rotate by 90 degrees.
    The thing is that it only happens with the Lid fully open. Also it looks like ok sometimes. Could it be temperature related?
    I understand it is a minor thing but still ;)

19. MacRuler macrumors 6502

seriously, just bend it with your hands in whatever direction you would like.

/thread

20. usmaak macrumors regular

Mine is the same way. I put little black felt feet on the bottom of the rubber feet. Problem solved.

Feel free to use whatever color felt feet you want. I just went with black because it matches the actual feet. ;)

21. Kafka macrumors 6502

Try bending it gently, this is not a joke. My did the same, and also only when opened. Now it's fine.

22. Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    To Chacolo

My brand new 11" that replaced my 11" does the exact same thing, except my left front foot is raised off the surface. I have not seen an Air sit flat yet and can bet every user here has the issue and doesn't know it or doesn't care. I tested mine on several granite counters in my home and on a dead flat machined steel test plate in my workshop, regardless of where I tested my Air it consistently gave the same results.....the left front foot is raised up. VERY poor QC at Apple.

The previous 11" Air I had for maybe a week I took upon myself to tweak it by carefully flexing the base, it worked but I was extremely upset that I had to do that. This replacement tested flat immediately out of the box and just this past couple day I noticed it is now not sitting flat.

Aluminum is a VERY unstable material prone to extreme expansion and contraction in different temperatures so I'm inclined to leave my replacement alone, I'm certainly NOT replacing it as it is fine otherwise and did come with Samsung display and SSD.