Unbalanced wobbly keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JakeWalker, Apr 14, 2015.

1. JakeWalker macrumors member

Just received my new MacBook, and I'm afraid I may have to take it back. The bottom left side of the keyboard isn't balanced, so every time I type, the keyboard rocks back and forth. The best way to describe it is to say it is like a table at a restaurant that needs a packet of sugar to be put under one of the legs so it doesn't wobble.

Curious if others have a similar experience once they receive theirs, or if I just got an unlucky one?

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The chassis is probably warped. I've had an 11" MacBook Air that did the same thing. I had to get it replaced.

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Sorry to hear you have to send it in. I really hope mine doesn't have any defects cause I'll have already waited from April 10th till May 8-14 for it.

4. willydimes macrumors regular

yea I had same thing with 3 11 inch airs an ended up giving up on them. I hope if I take the plunge on this I get a flat one

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

This is exactly the reason I prefer to buy in store, any physical issue you just get a new box in a minute or two...

Q-6

6. vanimal macrumors 6502a

NOOOOOO! Here comes #WobbleGate! RUN!

Just kidding, that stinks though. :eek: I would be "salty" for a lack of better word and very upset. Especially playing the waiting game for one as many are.

7. clyde2801, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yes, that's why I'm going to buy one in the store this week...right after I get to take my complimentary unicorn ride.:rolleyes:

What? You mean Angela said they won't provide this is in the store, either? Damn it!

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Apple will be acutely aware of the shortfall and likely press their vendors for greater production. This in turn can drive up quality issues if the vendor`s in house process is not robust.

Let`s hope it`s a one off equally I will wait on physical stock in store.

Q-6

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It seems there's always issues with the first great wave of new apple releases. Normally doesn't happen once supply and demand straightens out.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

True, I am now too close to traveling, so will wait until early June when I return to civilisation, by then any "teething" problems will be clear. I may even scrap the idea until Skylake is released as by June there may only be 6-8 months before an update.

Q-6

11. its93rc macrumors 6502

its93rc

12. newellj macrumors 601

Yes, although warped laptop posts seem to crop up on a regular but infrequent basis without regard to new model issues. There was a great thread recently where someone was seriously suggesting putting the laptop on the owner's knee and pushing down on the corners to true it back up.

13. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

Did your package look beat up when you received it? The CNC machines are extremely precise, packaging is usually good enough to prevent this sort of thing. I can only imagine that extreme heat or cold would do it. Does this happen no matter what surface you are working on?

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Take a lathe to half your dining room table....done!

You are welcome, Sir!

15. brvhrt macrumors member

I've had exactly the same thing (warped case) on various Apple laptops.

16. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Yeah well put, equally that`s the exactly problem, no physical stock in stores. personally my case is not the norm, so I will defer and wait.

Q-6

----------

It`s not the CNC process, more likely how the chassis are handled by the manufacturer after machining. To physically damage the Notebook during transit the packaging would be very obviously damaged.

Q-6

17. JakeWalker thread starter macrumors member

So, there was no damage in shipment - the box was in perfect shape.

I called Apple. First tech support. The guy said since it was brand new, better to talk to sales. So I called sales. They are sending me a replacement as soon as they can (though it may take some time). I can keep this until the replacement comes; once it comes, I have 14 days to return this one.

Considering the circumstances, I can't complain - - excellent service.

I have tried using it on many different surfaces, and there is definitely an unevenness to the base of the system. If I put a lot of pressure with my wrists on the base of the unit, I don't get the wobble, but I'm then very conscious of what I'm doing. Paid too much to have this issue, so I'm glad it is being taken care of. Given the shortfall of inventory, the solution seems more than reasonable. Really happy with the service.

18. vanimal macrumors 6502a

That's awesome! Good service as always from Apple.

19. newellj macrumors 601

Under the circumstances, it'd be hard to ask for more realistically.

20. latsyrhc macrumors regular

latsyrhc

Just curious, if/when you return an original defective unit, do you have to return the rest of the box's contents as well? It'd be pretty sweet to have an extra charger...

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

return, yes. If they swap it b.c of a defect, no. I think they usually want returns if it is within the return window. I recently had that issue with an iPhone and they will not swap it. They required a return, probably for that very reason.

22. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

I've had this issue and it was due to the screws on the bottom being tightened unevenly. If you think about it, all that unibody does is rest on an extremely thin and flimsy cover that then presses against internal components like the battery to keep it rigid. I'm not sure how similar the new MB is in this regard but the other models seem like they could be designed a little better.