Unbearable lag on 13 MBP, Early 2011, when importing photos?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omfgskyler, Mar 15, 2013.

1. omfgskyler macrumors newbie

Hey guys, the lag occurs during the import of photos. It doesn't allow me to use the internet almost at all. I haven't really tried other tasks. My HDD whirs so loudly, it sounds like my MBP is going to explode. It's really annoying. I'm an amateur photographer, so I import a lot of photos. I feel like it's time for an upgrade, or move to a desktop. An iMac. I did put 8GB of RAM in this laptop. I'm just curious if this happens to other people. I could put an SSD in the HDD spot, and take out the optical drive of my laptop for another SSD... But I want more portability and a better screen.

Here's the deal is. I want either a 13" rMBP or Air along with a refurb 27" iMac, possibly. Not both in one purchase. I would sell my laptop, and put that towards the iMac or newer MBP/A, then over summer purchase the other device.

I feel like the 13" rMBP is a great photography editing machine because of the display of course. The storage really isn't a huge issue. I keep documents on flash drives, videos and media on an portable USB 3.0 drive. I would use the main storage on the Retina for hardware and software programs.

What direction do you think I should go in?

*edit*
    If I went the Air route, I would definitely get an iMac first and wait for the new Air during 3Q

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Definitely go for the rMBP if you will be doing any kind of photo work. You will appreciate the better screen for color accuracy, and less glare. It also has a better CPU, fan system, and no annoying silver bezel. WAY more powerful than the Air for any heavy work.