Unbelievable! How to turn off WiFi AEBS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by locomoko, Jun 9, 2016.

1. locomoko macrumors newbie

OK, When I turn off the wifi on my Airport Extreme, all users will remain connected (show wifi signal) and can go online, except my Macbook Pro (screwy).

FYI, when I turn off wifi, Airport Utility will show the access points (Airport extreme and express) gone and below the World is "Internet" with an orange dot next to it.

I want to be able to turn off the wifi at will so that there isn't any access through my wifi.

Suggestions are appreciated. Any body heard of this?

Mahalo, loco

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

How are you turning off Wifi on the Airport Extreme? I don't even see a way to do that in the Airport Utility.

Unplug the Airport when you don't want Wifi access.

3. locomoko, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016

locomoko thread starter macrumors newbie

I know people here have to consider that everyone is a novice and offer the novice advice.

1st, it doesn't matter how I turn off the wifi, however, I am turning it off wit da clikka.

2nd, I am looking for more than a "unplug to turn off" offering.

Please, if anyone has more than the first suggestion please advise.

Thanks though Darth.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I need someone who speaks expert-ese to explain "wit da clikka" to me, thanks.

5. locomoko thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, da clikka is the mouse, it clicks when you press on the button. Trying a little humor, guess it was flat.

I am turning off wifi from the wifi icon at the top of the desktop with my mouse, but this does not actually turn off airport extreme wifi, it only turns off the wifi access on my macbook pro.

I don't want to "just unplug" the extreme as any one can just come back and plug it back in.

What I want is the airport extreme to actually stop broadcasting when I click on the wifi icon and the drop down says "Turn wi-fi off"

Thanks for the reply's

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You need to understand why this is confusing. You asked:

which clearly says that you want to disable wifi at your Airport Extreme and Express. Turning off wifi on your own end device does nothing to affect other users. So Darth.Titan, understandably, asked:

This would have been the perfect opportunity for you to clarify that you are really only turning off wifi at your MacBook Pro, but you didn't do that - instead, you perpetuated the confusion:

which you then confirmed means you're using your mouse. To turn off wifi at your MBP and not at the router. Except, maybe you DID mean you're turning it off at the router:

So please, back up and tell us what you're actually trying to do, and what you're actually doing, and maybe we can help with the troubleshooting. Because right now it sounds like you're turning off your MBP's wifi and wondering why everybody else except you remains connected to the wifi.

7. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

That is the expected result. You are turning WiFi off on the computer not on the extreme. To turn off WiFI on the extreme, use a wired ethernet connection, open Airport utility and turn wireless off using the third tab.

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

This is the best thread I've ever seen here.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Does he do that "wit da clikka"? or no?

10. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Go to the Airport Utility. Double-click (wit da clikka) on the Airport Extreme icon. Go to the Wireless tab. Go to Network Mode. Change it to OFF. Click on the Update button. Close Airport Utility.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Don't assume he's a novice. :cool:

12. JohnDS macrumors 65816

BTW. If you turn off the Airport Extreme wireless function, you will have to connect to it by ethernet to turn it on again. You do realize that, right?

13. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Don'
    Don't assume anything!

14. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

We haven't heard from the OP in a bit. Could it be that, having used wifi to shut off wifi, he doesn't have an ethernet connection with which to turn it on again?

It'd be interesting to know just how that network is configured. The OP mentioned he has both an Extreme and and Express. Is one being used as a range extender? Are there actually two separate networks? And why does he want to turn off wifi? Is he running an open network and wants to shut out unauthorized users (hint: add a password)? Is he worried about other network users accessing his computer (hint: turn off sharing)? Is he trying to prevent access to other resources on the local network, or trying to restrict access to the internet? Lots of questions. Who knows if they'll ever be answered.

15. dezeeb macrumors newbie

dezeeb

Wait.. So when I'm bored of the music on the radio and I turn it off, it doesn't shut down the radio station? I always thought that it just makes the DJs go home, after all, there's nobody to listen to it right?

16. daflake macrumors 6502a

This is what I thought... I mean, if I'm not listening to it others shouldn't be able to as well.

17. dezeeb macrumors newbie

dezeeb

I'm glad it's not just me. Was worried for a second there..

18. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

You might want to check into the product Circle by Disney.

It has a way you can pause the wifi.

https://meetcircle.com/

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sheesh, it works that way for television, so why wouldn't it for radio?
    You must be a novice

20. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I often get questions posed in this manner. What dull thread if the OP had just asked, "How can I keep other users/devices off of my AEBS wifi."

21. locomoko thread starter macrumors newbie

This is getting funny and I can see how it is confusing. Apologies, I learned something with the TV station analogy.

If this makes it more simple, I want to stop the AEBS from broadcasting, and I don't want to just unplug the AEBS.

I have set up time limits already, however I would like to stop the broadcast at any time I want.

I do have passwords and the express is just to extend the broadcast signal.

Thank you for the reply's

22. JohnDS macrumors 65816

You have your answers in my last two posts, but you may have missed them because of the other chatter.

23. locomoko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you JohnDS, I will do your instructions, and I have the ethernet/usb serial cable. The best to you and your family.

24. locomoko thread starter macrumors newbie

Did it, won't do it again, is there a better way...

Tanks

25. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

i assume what you want is to be able to turn it on and off easily and wirelessly when you want. Unfortunately that is not possible, there are multiple ways to turn it off but once it's off you'll need to connect by cable to turn it on, this is because you have turned off the wireless and now you can't access it wirelessly.

To be honest your best bet is to turn it off at the plug.

You haven't given any idea of why you would want to do this, I for one cannot think of a single good reason for it but maybe if you tell us why we can one up with a different solution for your issue.