Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleAreMorons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2014
I can't think of a simpler and more basic programming problem than being able to wake up your mac when the screen saver is on. Move the mouse...press a key on the keyboard...click the mouse, pretty basic, right? You would think so. But apparently Apple developers are incapable of performing this most fundamental and mindbogglingly simple task. My screen saver comes on after a few minutes of idle time, and no power in the universe can wake up the computer and get it to come out of screen saver mode. I have to hit the power button and threaten to turn the damn thing off to get its attention. I'm not running any applications. No mysterious background tasks, just a plain and simple desktop with a basic apple-provided screen saver. Don't ever let anyone tell you that the developers of the mac operating systems are clever. They can't even pull off this kindergarten programming task. This is pathetic.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Probably just you. Mine works as it should and have never had any issue with my current MBP or previous machines. Try re-installing OSX or upgrading to the latest one. Also, maybe make the time to activate the SS longer?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I can't think of a simpler and more basic programming problem than being able to wake up your mac when the screen saver is on. Move the mouse...press a key on the keyboard...click the mouse, pretty basic, right? You would think so. But apparently Apple developers are incapable of performing this most fundamental and mindbogglingly simple task. My screen saver comes on after a few minutes of idle time, and no power in the universe can wake up the computer and get it to come out of screen saver mode. I have to hit the power button and threaten to turn the damn thing off to get its attention. I'm not running any applications. No mysterious background tasks, just a plain and simple desktop with a basic apple-provided screen saver. Don't ever let anyone tell you that the developers of the mac operating systems are clever. They can't even pull off this kindergarten programming task. This is pathetic.

But its not normal or very common. Mine works just as you desire.

Your diagnostic logic is fatally flawed. Could be any of several faults but it isn't Apple programming.

First you need to find out if it occurs with screen saver OR sleep, they are different things.

Have you reset your energy saver settings to default? To remove the possibility it is an app causing it you could reinstall or restore to a backup from prior to it starting to occur. You should also look in the logs to see if there are any particular drivers associated with with the problem.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

You are using it wrong.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

Trollololololol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.