Unbelievable! No Phone Support for Lion! :O

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by zachnelson, Jul 20, 2011.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Hey folks,

If your warranty is out and/or you are out of the free 90 days phone support Apple will not offer you support for OS X Lion.

Just got off the phone with AppleCare with a question that they refused to answer because the hardware I have Lion installed on is out of warranty.

Absolutely ridiculous.

2. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Well…ask here! ;)

And yeah, AppleCare is always tied to the hardware (except for FCP and Logic, which have their own AppleCare support plans). You can get support for Apple software but it's all dependent on you having your computer/device covered.

3. davedude macrumors member

How is it absolutely ridiculous?

Lion is 30 whole dollars. Get AppleCare. If you can't get AppleCare, buy an "exception".

You wouldn't work for free, much less someone on the phone.

4. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, here's my question:

I'm on limited internet (10GB) per month. I downloaded Lion, installed it and when it came back up, the download package is no longer in Downloads or anywhere else on my computer.

I need to find out how to re-download it from the App Store in order to make a bootable disk so if I need to re-install I don't waste my Internet.

5. davedude macrumors member

Did you check your applications folder?

Here's a tutorial:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20080989-263/how-to-create-an-os-x-lion-installation-disc/

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's not true. OS X comes with a 30-day or 90-day support. If you call in, it has to be OS X related.

Doesn't it disappear after Lion has been installed meaning you had to do whatever before it installed Lion?

7. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Ah. Yeah, the installer deletes itself when it finishes. It's pretty annoying that it doesn't tell you that or give you the option to keep it if you want to.

It might be possible to make an image from the Recovery partition, but I don't know how it works (if it re-downloads the installer or what).

8. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. davedude macrumors member

That sucks man, sorry to hear... I have limited bandwidth too, so I can feel your pain.

FYI: Option-Click the buy button in the App Store and it should let you redownload again.

10. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure how to do that. :(

11. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I saw that in another thread, but I can't find the "buy" button. All there is on the Lion page is something that says "Installed". If I option click on that nothing comes up.

12. jason221 macrumors 6502

If you live near an Apple Store, try re-downloading it there. They have fast internet.

13. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Oh and iLog.Genius is correct: OS X comes with 90 days of support on its own (not tied to your computer).

http://www.apple.com/support/lion/contact/

So give them a call and tell them that.

14. davedude macrumors member

Good to know. I used to work in an Apple call centre ... sometimes they'll throw a curve ball at you just to get you off the phone.

15. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can re-download it at my house. I just don't know how to.

Also, I will give them a call back. I told them I had a question about Lion, they took my serial number, and said I'm not eligible for phone support. :confused:

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Well tell them you have 90-days of support because you just purchased OS X - you're entitled to it. And to re-download, I think you press/hold shift and then click buy or something and it will download.

17. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I worked at an Apple Store and I just totally forgot haha.

18. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

On the phone now.

I don't see where to option click. It says "Installed" and I option click there and nothing comes up.

19. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, got someone to help me.

I have to....

Format hard drive,
    Re-install Snow Leopard,
    Make Lion bootable disk from download,
    Apply all updates to Snow Leopard,
    Download Lion,
    Install Lion.

Theres no way to download it again from the App Store apparently.

This sucks.