Unbelievable Shortages!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jws7, Jul 10, 2008.

1. jws7 macrumors member

Hi there,

I just went into my local Carphone Warehouse to check that they would have stock for tomorrow's big launch. What I learned shocked me! :eek:

The (very cool) manager was so exasperated that he took me back to the stock room to show me the shelve of iPhone 3Gs. There wasn't many...

Infact there was only 8 8GB models and 1 16GB model !!! ONE 16GB! What?

I then asked if any of the other stores in the area would have the 16GB model, as me and my friend where looking for one each. He showed me an email that had been sent out to all stores detailing that the other stores in the area had 1 and 5 16GB each. Thats less than 10 in the whole area! (Including a major city!)

I thought this was unbelievable, the manager was complaining that Apple are simply not providing enough stock for the UK. He estimated that the entire UK CW got around 1500 iPhones (he wasn't clear if this was just the 16GB model or not?).

I'm going to try my chances at the local (early opening) 02 store in the hope that they have some more available... I don't hold out too much hope though.

2. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

That's pretty bad. For me, I live in a relatively small city and where I will be going tomorrow only has 3 8GB's, 3 Black 16GB's and 3 White 16GB's. Looks like we'll just have to be outside waiting even earlier!:D

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Carphone Warehouse isn't the best place to get one. Try an O2 store, or an Apple Store.

4. hazdageez macrumors newbie

5. jws7 thread starter macrumors member

Hey i'd best not say. Don't want to get the manager into trouble. Its a resonable size city though.

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm sure they stocked their apple stores really well though.

7. theotherrogue macrumors regular

Doing a worldwide launch is a lot different than a US only launch.

I'm sure the supply will always be hard to keep up.

8. jws7 thread starter macrumors member

Only one Apple store in Scotland. Its in Glasgow, we're not... :(

9. LixLev macrumors regular

I've found Carphone to be extremely helpful compared to o2 and apple store. I've been into two apple stores and neither had a clue about the details of tomorrow. o2 all told me different things and wouldn't even hint at how much stock they were getting.

Carphone however not only gave me details, of exactly the stock in that store, but also let me put reservations down to guarantee that i get one. I've never been a fan of carphone after they screwed me over a few years ago, but at the moment I am very pleased with their customer care when it comes to the iPhone 3G.

10. 03sho macrumors 6502a

Thought UK weren't getting white ones?

11. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

I want the bloody white one! wait until xmas? What's the deal?

12. badgerman macrumors 6502a

I popped into Trafford centre CPW and they showed stock of them and nearby stores, some had none! TC only had 5 16GBs!! :eek:

Market street CPW had the most only 10 or so though!

I think CPW is out, I hope O2 have more (the wouldnt say other than get there early (opening at 8am))