Unbelievable Temperature Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sythen, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Sythen macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I recently bought myself a Macbook Pro 2006 Model 15". And the idea was, buy it second hand and get the fan fixed totally the price of 600$. Which is great, because it works and things are fine.

But why is it that when I'm on Facebook on either Opera or Safari? My temp hits 80c. I've called up the Mac Store here in Ireland. They asked me to use iStat Pro to find out my temperatures. So I have, and all my temperatures are fine (around 30-50c) but my CPU temperature is hitting 80c.

Honestly, this is quite scary to see that a computer I've bought hits 80c when I browse the internet?

Specs:
    Mac Os X 10.5.8
    Processor: 2GHz Intel Core Duo
    Memory: 2GB 677MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Macbook Pro 15"

I'm getting fed up with dealing with the Mac Store, if you guys know what I need to do to fix this problem? I'll open it myself, and fix it.

- Scott.

</rant>

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

See your CPU usage in Activity Monitor. Maybe something is hogging the CPU and causing it to heat.

3. simsaladimbamba

In addition to Hellhammer's post, don't forget to select SHOW ALL PROCESSES and sort by CPU.

It may be Flash or a runaway process or Spotlight indexing (mds) or the Finder (close all Windows via CMD+SHIFT+W).

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

80c is not abnormally or dangerously high. It's quite common. If you're browsing sites with Flash, your temps will be higher. Likewise, if you have a lot of background processes running, such as widgets, your temps may rise. Look at what you have running, as others have suggested, but don't worry. Your temps are well within the normal range.

If you want more information, here are just a few of many threads on this topic, found by searching the forum with MRoogle:

Macbook Pro Heat Dissipation
    2010 Macbook Pro 17" i7 heat question
    Heat on my i7 Macbook Pro 15"
    Macbook overheating?
    My Macbook Pro reached 106 degrees !
    Macbook pro heat problem
    MacBook Pro Over Heat Issue
    Heat on my i7 Macbook Pro 15"
    Macbook pro Hot after 10.6.3. Update
    Macbook Pro too HOT!!!
    My Macbook Pro Runs Hot
    Macbook Pro gets really hot when running windows 7
    How hot should my macbook be getting?
    Macbook Boiling Hot!
    Hot 15" i5 MBP!
    MacBook Pro Overheating or That's What I Think It Is?
    Macbook pro temperature
    MacBook Pro heat causing pain in hands
    Alu Macbook vs. 13" Macbook pro: Heat & Battery Life
    Etc., etc., etc.

5. dime21 macrumors 6502

I have a late 2006 MBP, and if I play games (WoW, Portal, Doom3, etc) the cpu will get into the 80 - 85 C range. Which is fine. If you look up the specs on the mobile intel processor, you'll see it is rated for 105 C, so even at 80 C, you are well within the safe operating range.

That said, 80 C just for web browsing seems high, so as others have suggested, check your CPU utilization for run-away processes, Flash plugin hanging, etc.

Also, as a second hand machine, consider that the fan and heatsink inside may be clogged. Many people have pets, dirty homes, are smokers, etc. That fan and heatsink are small, with very fine fins, and will quickly clog if subjected to a lot of dust and pet hair.

As a last resort, you can disassemble the machine, clean the insides, and reapply some quality thermal paste between the CPU / GPU and heatsink.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I am going to venture a guess that flash is being used in your web browsing. That uses a lot of CPU and will make it pretty hot

7. Sythen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your kind replies. I've bought some new thermal paste and will be clearing out the fans later this evening. Also in regards to 80c being quite safe. I understand that, but apparently intel processors cut out at 100c? So is that not quite close to the shutdown point?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they can safely operate up to 105C. That's really not close at all.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

80C is normal operating temps for this first gen MBP, nothing to worry about.