Unbootable Win7 Boot Camp partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Werewolf01, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Werewolf01 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

So I accidentally caused a hard shutdown while in the middle of running chkdsk on my windows 7 boot camp partition. The first time I booted it after the shutdown, it worked fine, but I received continual warnings that $secure was corrupt and that I should run chkdsk again. The next time I rebooted, I found that the partition is unbootable, even in safe mode, and unmountable on my OSX (snow leopard) side. When I try to boot it in safe mode, the drivers load for a little bit, then it stalls, flashes a BSOD, and restarts itself.

I don't have the win7 installation disk on hand to repair it with. I tried making a one myself by burning a downloaded ISO from the official windows forums to a blank CD, and I was able to successfully do so and boot off of that CD, but it could not locate my windows drive (or any drive, for that matter, other than itself) to repair.

I think if I can just run chkdsk on the partition again, it'll be fixed, but since I can't boot into the partition itself I have no idea how.

I have no backups of the partition other than an old winclone of the full partition from a year ago or so. I also have plenty of blank CDs, external hard drives, and thumb drives on hand.

Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Werewolf01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the good news is that I got it sorted out on my own. Ultimately the homemade disk I created from a dl'ed ISO did indeed do the trick; the reason it wasn't working for me before is because either I wasn't using it correctly, or my partition map wasn't correct, or both.

Thanks anyway for taking the time to read this thread.