Unboxed without charge

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ftlum, Nov 30, 2015.

1. ftlum macrumors regular

Hi All.

I just got my Apple Watch from Best Buy, and when I unboxed it, there was no battery charge at all. It seems like other people's come with a partial charge, like the way my iPhones do when they're unboxed.

Is that normal or perhaps a sign of a bad battery? It had watch OS 1 on it-- could this be old stock where it sat around long enough to make the battery go dead? (I don't think so-- it's a SS with a white sport band and my recollection is that this model is not that old.)

Is there an app that will test the battery (a Geek Bench sort of diagnostics one). Unless this is a common occurrence, I'm probably going to have to exchange the watch.

Thanks in advance!

Frank

2. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

I bought 2 watches at the same time. My girlfriends watch had watchOS 2 on it and didn't need a charge, mine had 1 and was completely drained. Charged it up per the instructions and it has been fine since, no issues.

3. nicho macrumors 68000

SS with white sport band has been available since the beginning. watch os 2 has been around for a while now, so its been sat in a box for a little while at least.

just enjoy it for a few days, then see what your battery life is like (it might be up and down the first couple of days, thats normal)

4. brvhrt macrumors member

I just got mine from Best Buy (black friday sale). Zero charge and OS1 on it. Had to charge it for ten minutes before it would even switch on. I bought one direct from the Apple store a couple of weeks ago and it had 50% charge and OS2 on it. I think I'll be exchanging the new one at Best Buy as it also has slightly loose band fittings.

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Sounds like old stock. Doesn't matter though, I'm sure it's fine. Your 1 year warranty is effective from the date of purchase. I also suggest getting AppleCare+ Just because

6. ftlum thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, everyone. So far, it's my iPhone that's draining its own battery life faster. I suppose that's normal, since I usually don't have Bluetooth turned on and have been installing watch apps a lot this morning. I'll see how things go over the next few days.

7. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

My 42mm watch and my wife's 38mm watch both came from Best Buy with partial charges. I had to upgrade them both to Watch OS 2.0.1, so they may have been older. I have had mine for almost two weeks and it is holding a charge just fine after the first few charges. I have seen it last two days with 10% left at the end of the second night.

One thing I noticed was the Watch will use WiFi to connect to your phone when BT is not running or if you are out of BT range. This only works if the Watch and phone are on the same WiFi network and the WiFi is "known" to the phone. You will see a little green cloud icon on the Watch's status screen instead of a green phone icon. When my Watch is using WiFi to connect to my phone, the Watch battery drains much faster, which is expected considering BT 4.0 uses a feature called low energy and the amount of power needed for WiFi.

I recommend you leave BT on as much as possible when using your Watch.

8. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

It depends how long its been in the cupboard since coming from the factory. If its been there since April 30th, clearly the battery will be dead. Also, as above, leave Bluetooth on as much as possible, as if bluetooth is unavailable, the watch tries to use Wifi Direct to compensate for some of its features, which wears the battery down faster on both devices.

9. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

We bought two watches, and then exchanged them for two different models, and we had to immediately charge all four of them.