Unbricking 4870

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rarz, Oct 8, 2010.

1. rarz macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm not sure if what I have in mind makes sense. I have a bricked hd 4870 and I have to flash it with a PC because there is no way to boot my mac pro with this card. I aslo have a PC, but it's psu is not big enough like for connecting this card. So I guess, can I connect the supply cables to my macpro while the card is connected to the pc? Will it explode?

Thanks in advance!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It should still work in your PC even though it didn't get full power. At idle, it doesn't need much power. BTW, how big is your PSU and what other components do you have? The "requirements" are often just recommendations as it varies with every system. If you have OCed i7-920 (130W) there, it will suck a lot more power than non-OCed i7-860 (95W) for example. Thus there is a good chance that it will work fine with your current PSU

3. Jamesconnery macrumors newbie

Jamesconnery

Using a Mac Pro and DOS boot disk getting no adapter found with ATI flash commands and atiflash -i does not list the card even though both 6 pin power cords are connected. Fan is running for sure as I have checked it out thoroughly.I have heard some ATI cards can be jumped and then reflashed, any suggestions will be appreciated.

4. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

5. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

not true install the card in the first slot then install the factory card in the next open slot boot from that. Flash the card with DOS or windows shut down remove old card hook up video done simple I've done it twice.