Uncharted Demo

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

PSN updates don't take place until around 5pm-6pm(EST) so you'll have to wait.....if you want impressions check out IGN....apparently they are wanking off to the demo.

Bless

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, bummer. I might be in bed by that time. (central european timezone...)

Guess I'll check it out tomorrow.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What you do in your bed is your own business ;):D:p

Yeah it's probably going to be a big sized demo, so it'll probably take a couple of hours to download anyway. I'm going to leave mine on tonight, and hopefully it will be downloaded by tommorow some time :)

Too many good games though... :(

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The Demo is bad arse....I died like twice but thats besides the point though;)
    The game is beautiful and the contols are fluid and they work great....The AI are too smart at times flanking you and throwing granades at you but I can take a challenge.

Seems as if Sony has another top shooter on its hand.....I'll pass final judgement on the product when its out.

Sorry MRU. Risc.....looks like if you have a PAL PS3 you can't download..

Bless

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Good job I have an american one so :p

7. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I like it! Its really fun! The graphics are insane and the gameplay is good and the forest seems so real with the water and rocks and trees!

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Wow I really like this game. Action is damn fun and it is satisfying as hell to blow guys up.

The camera seems a little wonky though... :(

Ok, after playing it through i still enjoy it but... the controls feel really wrong for some reason. The cover system is one button which is nice, but it rarely feels like I get in a natural shooting position, I have to move around a bit to get in the right place to pop up whereas in Gears it was much easier. I still think the camera is kinda crappy and I am babysitting it more than in R&C. The guns are silly, the pistol kills for wayyyy far away in only a few hits whereas the machine is useless at anything beyond up close and is a pain the ass to use. The Hint system is cool since it points you in the way you should be going in case you get a little lost.

Graphically its damn pretty and the writing seems funny but I never quite felt 100% right with the gunplay and that continues after the demo which leaves me a little disappointed.

9. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I just read that this demo is region-locked. No point even downloading it on a PAL PS3.

Way to go Sony, always working hard to keep your customers happy... :confused:

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I imagine the reason for it - is that it has not yet received an ERSB or BBFC certification and therefore it would not be allowed to pal customers until it has received those.

11. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Actually the region locking was a bug... so they just moved the PAL demo release to Nov. 22.

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I liked it. From an audio-visual standpoint it's up there with Ratchet and Clank. Excellent presentation - lush, non-static jungle, oodles of self-shadowing, great shader work on the human begins (try running around in the water for a bit).

The gunfights, while fun, are not as tight I'd like. For example, if you shoot a pirate and they're still reeling, it's difficult or impossible to shoot them again until their animation has finished. Hitboxes also seem just a little off. I actually wouldn't be opposed to a wee bit of auto-aim in this case.

The platforming also suffers from slightly loose controls coupled with less-than-forgiving mechanics. It felt very much like the platforming in Shadow of the Colossus, although that gave gave lightly more leeway and helped you along a bit more than Uncharted does.

Still, mega points for style and entertainment factor. This very well may be worth shelling out $60 for, and this is coming from someone who hasn't bought a single standalone PS3 game yet.

13. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

How about that - I just read on PS3Fanboy.com that they fixed the region issue and the demo can now be played on PAL systems as well.

Very cool of them to do that, since they were not really obligated to.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yes they were. The demo was intended for all regions.

15. badlydrawn macrumors newbie

badlydrawn

Its now region unlocked - so if PAL and Asian users try to dl again, it works.

Lovely game, but the cover button feels awkward as sikkinixx mentioned - maybe takes a little getting used to. Kind reminds me of Ico at times, old ruins+lush jungles - however a whole different beast.

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

hmmm I dunno about that. If it was intended for all regions wouldn't they have released it in the EU/JP store instead of making people create extra accounts to download it?

<conspiracy theory>I call BS that it was a 'mistake' anyway, sounds like Sorny trying to get a feeler if people will put up with region locking demos. </conspiracy theory>

17. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Not at all. Contents of the North American Playstation Store are only intended for the North American region.

Everyone outside who accesses it has to pretty much create a network account with a fake address in order to get it.

Many demos never see the European store because of age restriction issues in countries like Germany (Darkness, Jericho, etc.).

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So it was supposed to be region-free but theres a bug that made it region locked. Oh wait Sony must be wrong?

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I love the graphics, love the platforming, but there really is way too much shooty shooty :(

God damn it, it was the thing I feared from all the preview videos was that the amount of adventuring and platforming seemingly diminished and the amount of gun fighting increased.

I mean there are section where it's just a pure gun fighting slog, where hey kill wave A of identikit pirates and be greated with wave B of identikit pirates :(

I'm really on the fence now, the platforming, controls and graphics were truly great but the fighting just left me utterly cold.

Sure a little fighting ok, but this just felt too much gun slinging for my liking and if it is indicative of the retail version I can imagine myself getting very bored with the gunfight sections.

20. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Damn. This game has kind of made me realize I probably should have gotten a PS3 instead of the Xbox 360. I bought the Xbox 360 recently on impulse because of the pro bundle + guitar hero II for free. While not as great of a deal could have gotten the 40gb PS3 + Spiderman 3 movie for the same $.

Most of the exclusives I want are on the PS3: Uncharted, MGS4, God of War 3, Game's from the creators of ICO/SoC and I kind of want to give Ratchet and Clank a try. More a fan of action adventure than say Halo, FPS type games.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You should always make a decision based on the games you want not just 'right now' but 'in the future'.

Any of the consoles have fantastic line up of games, but for different audiences.

You could always trade in your 360 and get a PS3 and take the small financial loss on the chin - with the benefit of hindsight.

22. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Well I might as well enjoy some Xbox 360 exclusives while I have it than later on sell it off or trade it in for a PS3 down the road. If I hadn't bought the 360 on impulse I would gave done some more research. I honestly didn't realize until now that most of these games I'd like are from Sony second party developers. Not that I can't afford both systems but I can't really justify more than one with the amount of time I actually spend playing them.

You live, you learn I guess...

23. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well the demo is hardly any adventuring, mostly just shooting. Maybe they just wanted to give you the more action section to make sure people didn't get bored with it?

The reviews should say whats what.

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, I would hope for a good balancing act between the action and platforming. I think we just got a a part of the demo that was really tight on action....which I don't mind because the action was fun.

All in all its a buy for me......wished we didn't have to press the "O" button to cover but thats something I can live with.

Anybody notice that everytime a bullet wizzes pass your head the character flinches or his garments get soiled and wet.....thats cool.

Bless

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Yeah the little details are really good. I loved his facial expressions, and when he talks and stuff.

A bit hectic camera during the fight sections can lead to you getting shot or stuck clinging onto a wall without seeing who is shooting you.

If its 50/50 action adventure then I'll buy, but if it's like the demo 80/20 then I will probably give it a miss (who the hell am I kidding, you all know I'll buy it anyway) :)

Anyone else notice that the developer preview videos showed that when you were shot this really pathetic red splash mark came on the screen. This looked really tacky and I'm glad they dropped it. However I'm not sure turning the screen black & white was an ideal solution either.