Uncompressed DVD burning in Toast.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sweenona, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Sweenona macrumors member

So I got Toast Titanium 8.03 to burn backup copies of my DVDs...legally of course. I also bought a spiral of Dual Layer 8.5 GB DVDs so that I wouldn't have to compress my video to fit it onto a 4.7 GB disc. When I burn, I burn the VIDEO_TS folder (ripped from MacTheRipper) and it works just fine when I have "Fit-to-DVD video compression" selected. When I deselect it though, the DVD doesn't play in my XBox 360.

I guess my question is, if I have an 8.5 GB disk, and the VIDEO_TS folder is only 7 odd GB, why does the DVD video compression need to be on? Here's an example: I'm burning a 2 hour movie (with no extras) onto this Dual Layer 8.5 GB disk (the VIDEO_TS file is 6.82 GB). And with the compression on, it says it will be a 34% reduction. With the compression off, it doesn't play in my DVD player.

Does anyone know how I can work around this? I just want the highest quality copy possible.

2. rjmarklew macrumors newbie

If it needs compressing it looks like you're burning to a single layer DVD. 34% compression would be about 4.5 GB. Have you selected the DVD DL burn option for dual layer disks.

Richard

3. Sweenona thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for responding. I selected the DVD DL (next to the big red burn button) and I have a DL DVD in the drive. Is there some other place where I have to tell it that it's a DL DVD?

Like I said above, I tried burning one with the "Fit-to-DVD video compression" option off and it didn't work in my Xbox 360...is that just a fluke? Should it normally work correctly with that deselected?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If it's like Popcorn (another Roxio product) it'll only compress if needed even if you have compression turned on. Look at the VIDEO_TS folder on the burned disk, how big is it?

5. Sweenona thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I didn't even think to check the size of the VIDEO_TS folder on the burned disk. It IS the same size as the original folder on the computer. Thanks for your help. So when I click on "Copy Options" and it says 50% compression, quality medium, it's just talking about if you were burning to a single layer DVD?

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Exactly

7. Sweenona thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! Thanks a lot for your help.

8. martinmartin macrumors 6502

I still don't get why it doesn't work with Compression turned off even when you have enough space on the DVD DL for the Video_TS file. Does that make sense?

I am burning a disc at the moment and, like you, I turned off compression because even though I had a DL disc in, Toast still said 34% compression, which I didn't like.

I guess I'll see if it plays...but now it looks like even if it says 34% compression, it won't actually compress anything as long as there is enough space on the DL DVD...

9. martinmartin macrumors 6502

Well I got an error when burning with compression turned off - as described above.

So this morning I tried again with compression turned on and got the same exact error (see attached).

I'm using Verbatim DVD+R DL, which I understand to be pretty decent quality...

I did a search and it looks like Macs are plagued with this error.

Anyone have any suggestions of should I just forget about trying to burn DL discs on my MBP?

Thanks

Attached Files: