Uncompressed HD Video Cam?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MBX, Sep 4, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Can anyone suggest a pro camcorder that shoots 720p-HD (1080 is a plus) uncompressed and is comparable in quality to the 5D Mark ii and it's price?

From what i saw pricewise such cameras tend to be more in the range of 5000-7000k (or more).

2. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Take a look at the Panasonic AG-HMC-150 720p60 and 1080p30. Images look very crisp. This camera is in the 3-4k range. Sony makes an PMW-EX1 that shoots 720p and 1080p as well. 5-7k range. I prefer the Panasonic with a CCD imager versus the Sony with CMOS. Also codecs will be of concern when shooting and handling the footage.

Hopes this helps.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/591110-REG/Panasonic__AG_HMC150_AVCCAM_Camcorder.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520761-REG/Sony_PMWEX1UC_PMW_EX1_XDCAM_EX_SxS.html

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

The Panasonic one looked intriguing at first but when i read H.264 compression, no thanks, for that price... I might get as well the 5D-mii or 7D which is third of that price.

4. DrewIGR macrumors newbie

Actually, if you are trying to get as close to uncompressed as you can I would definitely stay away from anything Panasonic. Their sensors aren't HD resolution (and very small giving you a very wide depth of field. boo!) and use pixel-shift to up-rez the image. That is NOT true HD. The EX1 will shoot much sharper images as it is a true 1080p camera. It also Has a 1/2" sensor size that will deliver some nice DOF if you know what you are doing. I have shot on both, and though I typically hate Sony cams, I was vastly impressed with the EX1 for its overall control and beautiful images.

Sorry to say shooting "uncompressed" is a difficult thing to do. They only camera with a RAW video codec on the lower level at this point is the RED ONE. You could wait for the Scarlet which has a rumored release of "before the end of this year." This will shot in much higher than 1080p resolution in RGB with a 2/3" sensor for $3,700. And with 11 stops (rumored) of DR no other camera in that price range can come within a mile of this camera. Not even the 5d mark II.

If you are looking for cameras that are currently on the market, I would go for a Sony v1u or EX1, or a Canon XH-a1, which shoots onto HDV, but trumps the Panasonic on resolution still.

5. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

What will you be shooting (e.g., crossbow tournaments) and how will you be outputting (e.g., hosting on crossbowlovers.com)?

On the compression front, H.264 can be very efficient, and your only alternative in this price range is HDV, which is no better than modern AVCHD/H.264 camcorders. The next step up (a few thousand more) is XDCam EX or DVCProHD.

Why are the video SLRs your point of comparison? If it's the shallow depth of field look you like, no camcorder will provide that without a 35mm adapter.