Uncontrollable pop ups after visiting weird site

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seqsquirrel1, Feb 11, 2011.

1. seqsquirrel1 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I have always been a hardcore windows guy and am very excited with my new Macbook Pro. Here are the specs and the issue I ran into.

1. MacBook Pro 10.6.6 fully updated Safari.

Recently I visited a school website and while on the site I got crazy pop ups. Being a network administrator I fully understood what was happening and thought "virus" despite my research showing their are very few Mac viruses. Safari froze and right clicking the safari button on the bar and selecting force quit did nothing, and the macbook locked up (first time ever in 1 year!)

I hard shutdown the Macbook Pro and turned it back on. I logged into facebook and as I was posting a comment on my friends wall I got a pop up about birth control. We all know Facebook doesn't pop that crap up. Thirty minutes later I was taking a quiz on my college's website and I got yet another pop up this time about some weird movie site.

I understand no one thinks Mac's can be hacked, but something is seriously wrong. This has never happened before the computer locked up, and the fact I am on safe sites like Facebook and my local college and I'm getting random pop ups concerns me.

Can anyone recommend a free antivirus program that I can scan? I downloaded ESET NOD32 for mac and the results came up clean.

P.S. I was just on twitter and got another weird pop up.

Thanks in advance for reading this post and I look forward to being an active member of the community.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

1. Your mac doesnt have a virus. Basically uninstall the virus scanner because it cause more problems than its worth. Theres nothing to look for anyway. There are no virus's for the mac platform.
    Read this as far as virus's go.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9400648&postcount=4

2. is your popup blocker on?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

None, to be exact.
    Of course they can be hacked, like any computer. It's just extremely rare.
    Reset Safari, clearing your browser cache and cookies. Check your DNS settings. Check any ad-blockers you have.

Chances are very slim that you're dealing with any form of malware. It's just pop-up ads.