Unconvincing Upgrade Options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by garrettheaver, Oct 28, 2013.

1. garrettheaver macrumors newbie

So I'm still using my modified mid 2009 MBP 13" as my daily driver (software engineer) to run three 1080p Dell screens (using external DisplayLink cards).

I've been holding out for a machine worth upgrading to for about 12 months now and had high hopes with Haswell but between the lack of a quad option in the 13", the trackpad issues, the retina IR issues and the screen lag complaints I'm completely unconvinced theres a sweet spot model for me. I dont want a 15" as I do move around a lot with my laptop. Feels like a compromise of spending time trekking back and forth to the Apple store fixing a machine that's a bit faster and might be able to directly drive all my external displays (albeit with stutter/lag). I assume the trackpad issue will be fixed soon but the IR just seems inexcusable.

If I could squeeze another bit of performance out of my mid 2009 I'd nearly just stay where I am and see what Apple / alternatives are available in another six months time.

2. mankymanning macrumors regular

Buy the 15" and man up! ;)

3. leman macrumors 604

The current 15" is as heavy as your 13" and at least four times faster. If you are unhappy with that, then I don't know what would make you happy :D

4. garrettheaver thread starter macrumors newbie

Weight isn't the major factor, dimensions are. Ever tried using one on a flight? They're also a horrible fit for backpacks. My 2006 MBP was a 15...monster of a thing. Yes the unibodies are much more compact but they're still significantly larger than the 13".

And yeah, I know it might all seem like a minor inconvienence but I spend at least 25% of my life with these machines. Eight to ten hours a day at least, often 6 days per week for the next 3-4 years. It needs to work for me.

5. leman macrumors 604

Oh, I understand perfectly, its the same for me. I just find the size of the 15" to be quite optimal - yes, I use it on the plane/train and commute everyday with a motorcycle (the laptop is a very nice fit in my average-size backpack).

That said, I am sure that you will be happy with the 13" rMBP (was the 13" actually even ever reported to have IR?), or alternatively, even an MacBook Air. Don't forget that you have a 14 day return period with Apple, so there is no reason not to try it out and see if it works for you.

6. albertdros macrumors member

this is ********. I'm using a 17 inch 2010 model now and I'm using it exactly the same way as you. usually like 10 hours per day or more, bringing it everywhere. Even fits in my backpack. This 17 incher is a bit heavy but i still manage easily. I can't imagine the 15' rMBP not fitting in a regular backback. Thats just nonsense.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Really? You think the 15" is a monster? lol

Here, I'll show you a 'monster.'

ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

But in all seriousness, if you have trouble fitting a 15" laptop into a backpack or something, try harder!

8. garrettheaver thread starter macrumors newbie

People usually get arrested for what happens after statements like that :D, but the picture is hilarious!

I always get a giggle at guys turning up to give talks with a 17" laptop (ahem, desktop), slap it down on the podium with a noise like its a sack of potatoes and proceed to project their keynote when they could almost turn their laptop around and just display from it instead.

In all seriousness the 15" is too big for me also. I've never been comfortable on a flight with a 15" - perhaps you're flying business or first class? :p And my backpack usually has a 1/2 dozen other things in it which I also need and consume space.

I'll probably end up either having to go for an i7 13" or as previously mentioned, just hold back for the next cycle.