Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
BTW it's a christmas gift for my daughter. She's only 8, but me/wife/son all have iphones, am I going overboard getting her a mini? She doesn't have an iphone, but she loves the ipad and her friend has a ipod touch. She wants to be able to play games/facetime, etc. I'd get her the 16 gb white wifi model. Also, should i preorder now or wait til it gets to best buy (i have an account).

I wonder if I'm going overboard for an 8 year old, or would a nexus 7 suffice.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
If she's 8 I would buy her a first gen ipad. You can get one cheap and that way if she break it there wont be huge lose.

Or maybe even try and pickup a ipad 2 on sale.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
With the ipad you only have to buy the app once for all your devices.

I think any iOS device is best for someone 8.

The size of the mini is nice and better for her eyes than a touch.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
BTW it's a christmas gift for my daughter. She's only 8, but me/wife/son all have iphones, am I going overboard getting her a mini? She doesn't have an iphone, but she loves the ipad and her friend has a ipod touch. She wants to be able to play games/facetime, etc. I'd get her the 16 gb white wifi model. Also, should i preorder now or wait til it gets to best buy (i have an account).

Ease of use hands down goes to the iPad... Nexus 7 which I purchased was a pain in the arse to setup. Getting music on it and movies there isn't really like an iTunes to do that with. You have to rely on 3rd party software much of which is utter garbage.

I'd get an iPad, maybe not the latest if you want to keep the cost down, but speaking for my kids... I'd get an iPad mini without question.

ben123456

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2012

Go for a used iPad 2. She will probably be so excited with it she won't notice it's used. Or probably mind

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
The mini is Perfect for kids.

Its actually going to be its biggest selling point this Xmas.

If your getting the mini for yourself as an E-reader it would be better to wait till they offer retina display. Stick to the iPad till they do that.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
the ipad mini is a no-brainer for kids

there's so much more apps and media for her on the Apple ecosystem

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
Another vote for the mini. iOS devices are the easiest to use especially for kids. Let's not forget the boatload of apps designed for kids on the App Store.

For myself, I chose a Nexus 7 because I needed to satisfy my Android craving.

Skevaboy

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2011
Toronto
I have same issue , but have decided I am pre ordering 2 iPad minis when site is back up, there is no learning curve when it comes to the iPad and there is 1,000s of more apps then the nexus

fsumom

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
Nice stocking stuffer! hehehe :)

She is going to be so happy!!! Good mom!

lol, I almost cringe actually telling anyone that because I cannot believe I'm doing it but I am. There will be time constraints on her using it of course and then my DH can use it when she's not ;).

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
So am I risking anything by not preordering in the next hour? If I can go thru BB.com or Walmart, I'd prefer that. What do ya'll think?

BTW I thought about the ipad 2 instead, but the mini I think would be a perfect size for my princess, and she'd play with it all day long. Figure if a refresh comes w/retina & better specs, I'd either get one for myself and/or sell the original and upgrade her w/the money.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

I love the Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean.. but if she is 8 and isn't very tech savvy.. I'd say iPad just for the simplicity.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
While I am getting a Nexus 7 next week for myself; for our 6 year old daughter she got my wifes old iPad1 when I upgraded my wife to the iPad 3 this summer. It is perfect for what my daughter uses it for.

But, and this is a big but, you need to consider a few things. First, she is 8, she will drop, bang and do things that may break it. What she uses it for and how much you have of those things already invested in Apple. An 8 year old girl usually doesn't own terabytes of music and movies, but, like my daughter likes some music, streams some stuff from the internet and a few "girlie" apps. For that, if I didn't already own the ipad 1 the Nexus 7 would have been better just from a price and low out of pocket if it breaks point of view.

If you are heavily invested in the Apple system and she will leverage all or much of your past purchases, then the mini makes sense, if not, consider waiting until Monday and getting a $200 16 gb Nexus 7 and using the $130 saved for music, apps, and other stuff.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
While I am getting a Nexus 7 next week for myself; for our 6 year old daughter she got my wifes old iPad1 when I upgraded my wife to the iPad 3 this summer. It is perfect for what my daughter uses it for.

But, and this is a big but, you need to consider a few things. First, she is 8, she will drop, bang and do things that may break it. What she uses it for and how much you have of those things already invested in Apple. An 8 year old girl usually doesn't own terabytes of music and movies, but, like my daughter likes some music, streams some stuff from the internet and a few "girlie" apps. For that, if I didn't already own the ipad 1 the Nexus 7 would have been better just from a price and low out of pocket if it breaks point of view.

If you are heavily invested in the Apple system and she will leverage all or much of your past purchases, then the mini makes sense, if not, consider waiting until Monday and getting a $200 16 gb Nexus 7 and using the $130 saved for music, apps, and other stuff.

I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping to clear inventory, places like Office Depot/Staples might sell their remaining 8GB's for like $150.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
yeah I'm kinda torn, I'm sure she'd have fun w/the Nexus 7 too, just that I know she loves the ipad, even though it's pricier. I think a part of me is influencing this decision lol. Like what do I want lmao.

I figure I can wait until I can preorder at Walmart or BestBuy. Is there a risk here? Closest apple store is like an hour from me.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
yeah I'm kinda torn, I'm sure she'd have fun w/the Nexus 7 too, just that I know she loves the ipad, even though it's pricier. I think a part of me is influencing this decision lol. Like what do I want lmao.

I figure I can wait until I can preorder at Walmart or BestBuy. Is there a risk here? Closest apple store is like an hour from me.

Only risk is you decide something else is better for the price and you have to return your mini within the return window. Not a big deal really, other than the time/cost it would take to return. I do not think we will see 2 week waiting times on the mini like other device releases.

cloud25

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
I'm getting one for my 2 year old Golden Retriever.

I have one. If it's a puppy, it'll be one of the best and worst decisions you have ever made. First two years will be absolute disaster. After that they'll be your best friend :D

For a kid, unless money is a huge issue, an iPad Mini is a no-brainer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.