Undecided between a 13 or 15 inch. Could use some thoughts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by audirs5, Oct 17, 2017.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone.

So I just had to return my 15 inch MBP and need to purchase a new one... I cant decide between going back to 15 or switching to a 13 inch.

The reasons im deciding on going down in size is because the comfort of the 15 inch is not really there.. I felt the keyboard (VS my girlfriends 13) was not as comfortable, but in general, using the computer was not the most comfortable experience.

PRO's: 2tb HD. Bigger Screen

Anyone make the switch to the smaller one? If so, how did it workout for you? Regrets? The 2 biggest issues for me are not being able to have a 2tb HD and not being able to have the extra real estate for movies and the likes..

Just curious for others opinions.

Thanks

2. Gpulvi macrumors member

Gpulvi

I’ve gone from a 2014 15 inch to a 12 rMB because I needed portability. Last week I’ve sold my rMB and got a 13” tbMBP. Best decision I’ve ever made, it’s the perfect balance between power and portability.
    I use After Effects, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and Office 365, no performance complaints. It’s a 512 with 8GB RAM.
    Hope this helps you to decide.

3. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

That does help, a ton.. I did travel all over europe with the 15 inch and while i LOVED the extra screen, i was still somewhat thinking its too much..

4. Elcompa, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017

Elcompa macrumors member

Elcompa

I hope this is helpful....
    I went from a mid 2012 15 inch rMBP to a late 2016 ntb MBP. Both are 256. I thought I needed the larger screen as I was doing a lot of research, however, it was a pain to haul aroound to meetings, hotels, planes etc... Now on the 13 inch, I find I dont miss the "extra screen" at all. It took me a few days to make the adjustment. I get a bit more done/find it more user friendly now as I'm more apt to take it with me and it is pleanty fast/powerful for what I do. This was a VERY easy transition. This 13 inch form, weight, size and power, capability with a great screen is just right for me. Although Im not a power user (mosty surfing, research, many several Safari tabs open, a spreadsheet open, 2 Word docs open, Outlook and Yahoo mail always in use), I cant see myself ever going back to 15 in. This also fits on my lap and is better balanced for me as I mostly write on the couch or in bed.

I got my wife a rMB 12 inch and tried to use it. I loved the idea of the size, but found it slightly too small for the amount of time (6 hours per day) I spend looking at the screen. Although the form looks lovely, thin, small, I dont mind carrying around the extra 1 pound of the 13 inch MBP with the larger screen, better sc reen and better canera.

5. djs71a macrumors member

I was about to post this same question so hope the OP doesn't mind me tagging on to the thread.

I am a first time Mac buyer and debating between the 13 and 15 inch. I am leaning towards a late 2016 13 inch MacBook Pro with 512 GB hard drive and 8 GB RAM. I am not a power user, no video editing and limited photo editing. My one concern is running Windows. I will probably install Windows at some point in the future, either via boot camp or Parallels. I am concerned the 8 GB of RAM won't be enough. Has anyone used Windows on their MacBook Pro with 8 GB of RAM?

Also, the 13 inch has the Intel graphics chip and I believe the 15 inch has an AMD graphic chip. I assume this only comes into play if you are doing video editing and games? What are your opinions on a "standard" user, is the AMD graphics chips really needed?

6. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you so much,

7. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

The HD graphics on the H series chips (intel no longer offer Iris/pro/plus on higher wattage chips) are just enough to run the monitor for basic tasks, not a lot more. If you’re getting into even remotely demanding things the gpu will take over, if you’re just typing in pages, you’ll probably be ok but I’d imagine even certain types of browsing might trigger dgpu usage (which decimates battery life).