Undecided I need help buying new Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by edwardlanti, Mar 8, 2006.

  1. edwardlanti macrumors regular

    Jan 14, 2005
    new york city
    I sold my PB a month ago so that I can buy a new Intel Imac 20" but I had to hold cause there werent selling the one with 256mb graphic card in the store. But now a good deal came up, well I think it is, you guys tell me?
    Ibook 12"
    1.33GHz PowerPC G4
    512K L2 cache @1.33GHz
    512MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)
    12.1-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9550
    32MB DDR video memory
    40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    Built-in AirPort Extreme
    Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Scrolling Trackpad
    Sudden Motion Sensor

    For $600 do you guys think this is a good deal? the laptop is less then 2 months old and is in really good condition. So I was thinking of getting this for now and just wait for the rev b. Imac. you think I should do this? I dont need the computer for work or school, I just use it for music,browsing, email.
    I would like to hear your suggestions. thanks in advance
  2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020


    Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'd say thats a pretty decent machine for $600. It'd be a great laptop to use until you get your iMac and then a great second computer to use with it.
  3. Danksi macrumors 68000


    Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    The iBook would be ideal (especially on wireless) for what you're planning to use it for (why would you need an iMac?) - only the hard drive may be a little too small for Music. I know mine is, even at 80Gb.
  4. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

    Ryan T.

    Jun 13, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Don't be afraid of the Rev A iMacs, most have been flawless.
  5. devilot Moderator emeritus


    May 1, 2005
    Sounds like a great deal for that iBook... I agree though, 40GB HD seems a bit tiny. I have the same one but w/ 60GBs. It's a great little machine.
  6. yoda13 macrumors 65816


    Sep 26, 2003
    Seems like a great deal, and will be a good computer for you when you are on the go, or want to surf from the sofa, once you get your iMac.;)
  7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603


    Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    That is the exact machine I have, (the iBook), except I have a 60gb HD.

    I will say it will be a step down from your PB. So I'm not sure, but I got my machine for $1,000 out the door and upgraded the RAM to 1gb. Don't make my mistake max the RAM out if you get this machine.

    I'm not sure about that deal. But these machines travel very easily, much better than the 15" PB, or 14" iBook. So you got that going for you. If anything I say go for it, if traveling is in your future and then use it as a glorified TV remote later.
  8. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601


    Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    Sounds like a good deal to me. Get the iBook and keep it as a second machine later.
  9. plinkoman macrumors 65816


    Jul 2, 2003
    New York
    i agree, you should get the iBook, and then get the iMac later and keep the iBook as a second machine if you can afford it [​IMG]
  10. edwardlanti thread starter macrumors regular

    Jan 14, 2005
    new york city
    Hi guys thanks for all the suggestion. I have decided to get the Ibook now and then get an Imac when then second generation comes out. I also checked that the person also has applecare with the Ibook so i definitely think that is a good deal. Do you guys know by when will the rev.B Imac would come out? maybe june?
  11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603


    Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    I'd expect Rev B iMac's for September when they are rumoring there will be the Powermac Intels released.

    And I hate to nitpick but it is iBook, and iMac, not Ibook and Imac.

Share This Page