undefined symbols

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by zeppenwolf, Jan 16, 2011.

1. zeppenwolf macrumors regular

zeppenwolf

I'm porting a classic app to carbon. After all the struct accessor to function calls business, I get an error message about undefined symbols, (about thirty of them!) when it's time to link.

The project mixes C and C++, but here's the thing. As an example,

Code:
    #ifdef __cplusplus
        extern "C" {
    #endif

void HandleMenuChoice( short item );

#ifdef __cplusplus
        }
    #endif
    is declared in a header file. It's defined only once, in a C file, (other examples are compiled in C++ files) It's called only once, in another C file. Both files are included in the project; both the defining file and the calling file include the declaring header.

Honestly, what the heck does the compiler want from me?

This is with PB 2.1 on OS X.2.8 I just want to get this thing carbonated enough to use as a reference build, which I can run on X.4, while building a Cocoa equivalent. I hope that all makes sense; if it doesn't I blame white zinfandel.

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Make sure you're actually compiling the file. Just because it's listed inside PB doesn't mean it's compiling. You should see it under the target in Compile Sources.

Your first born :)

3. zeppenwolf thread starter macrumors regular

zeppenwolf

Ok, a slew of my files were being treated as resources. Heh. Some C files, but not all; some C++ files, but not all, were just being copied as though they were, well, resources. How the heck I got there, I don't have a clue, but problem solved. Thx, kainjow, for pointing out the obvious... which is what I needed!

So, if I give up my first the compiler will be nice? If I can get some visitation rights, IT'S A DEAL.