Undeletable File Aliases

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vBeta, Jul 14, 2012.

1. vBeta macrumors newbie

Recently I purchased Killing Floor from Steam. In the past, I had pirated the game (shame on me) to see if it was worth buying. Once deleted, I purchased and downloaded the Steam version. The Killing Floor splash image appears, and the application then crashed. I restarted my computer several times, same result. I searched "Killing Floor" to see if there were any remnants of the deleted game. There were tons of files. There's no file icon, nor file location for any file. Attached is a screenshot. Is there any way to delete these?

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In Finder, click View > Show Path Bar to see the location of any file you click on. You should be able to simply select those files and drag them to the trash. If that doesn't work, you may find some useful ideas here:

You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash
    Solving Trash Problems
    Can't move files to trash
    Can't Empty Trash on a Mac

Also, your search method won't find all app-related files. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. vBeta thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I removed Steam, reinstalled it and downloaded Killing Floor again, and the problem still persists. This time, there are no little remnants of the previous game. I did get the game running, though. The thing is, I had to quickly drag the icon somewhere in the icon bar so I could launch it without Steam. The only downside to this, is that I can't play it online via Steam (which is the complete reason I bought the game in the first place) Any idea what it could be? Settings blocking an application from opening another?